The Future of Working.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please..

Tainted meat only kept barely edible by the vast amounts of salt poured on it, foodstuffs that change as the season changes (bananas in January!), and a diet that would make your grandmother blanche and your doctor wealthy.

Tainted? with what? I am sure it was always fresh, and better some great fois gras and delectible strawberry desert than a second hand and second quality Banana.

Don't want them.

And why would someone like Louis want TV? TV and all those things you speak o are vacarious thrills...Louis got to experience them first-hand. Who needs TV when you can summon any thinker, artist in the realm and world wide to come to you and entertain you firts hand..fine, so you have to wait, and in the meantime, you get to enjoy whatever you want to do, travel far and wide...

Maybe you cna say the life of some king in the 12th century was crap, but any monarch of the 17th century and beyond most certainly had a far more luxurious life..and you know, oyu would be lucky to live as long as Louis XIV lived, so health concerns were not as endless as you protray them.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

"And why would someone like Louis want TV? TV and all those things you speak o are vacarious thrills...Louis got to experience them first-hand. Who needs TV when you can summon any thinker, artist in the realm and world wide to come to you and entertain you firts hand..fine, so you have to wait, and in the meantime, you get to enjoy whatever you want to do, travel far and wide..."

Yeah, summon them so that, maybe two months later they can show up at your doorstep, tired from the hard travel over crappy roads. Better to access them online, send an email, write a letter that can get their in two days (better roads and etc), see them on Booknotes on C-Span, etc.

"Hey, Voltaire! Come and see me!"

"Uh, sure, but it'll take me 3 weeks to travel the 200 miles to where you are. Hope I don't get attacked by bandits!"

Yup, sounds just like a charmed life.

Comment

"I am sure it was always fresh, and better some great fois gras and delectible strawberry desert than a second hand and second quality Banana."

Yup, all that fresh meat that one hunts in February. Nothing like a starved, stringy, has-eaten-bark-for-2-straight-months deer for the dinner table, that's for sure! Yum!!!

Comment

So then in february they eat the pigs they have been fattening up, or the geese, ducks, whatever.

It';s a choice of convinience vs pure luxury..and luxury is more appealing..yup, I woudl prefer to wait two months in my immense palace eating luxury meals made of seasonal foods expecting some great philosopher or atists to come do my bidding than watch a rerun of survivor over a warmed up TV dinner at night in some suburban sub-division.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

No refrigeration, GePap, in a culture where "aging" meat was popular.

Think about it.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
              Lawyers JM, lawyers...we could certainly do with less of them and the issue that my location brings attention to...
              if there's one thing the world needs it's more lawyers
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
              X