No announcement yet.

Lonestar Joins Western Civilization; Gets cell phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The question is: Why bother with a land line?

I cancelled my land line years ago. The money I saved pays for my mobile coverage.

Cell phones are great for Friday and Saturday nights. You can call around and find out where things are happening, and then call in friends.
    Golfing since 67

Comment

The question is: Why bother with a land line?

So that people can call me .

All I have is a land line. I don't need a cell phone. All I'm paying is about $20 a month, and then I use a calling card for 3.5 cents/minute to call my parents, long distance, every once in a while.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

My mobile is $10 a month. Including $15 worth of free SMS, free calls another mobile number I choose, and some free calls to others.

If I didn't need a land-line for using DSL, I wouldn't even bother with it.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Isn't it LAN line and not land line?

I went without one for about 6 months. I just wasn't getting good cell phone coverage in my neighborhood. I don't live in an affluent neighborhood. I guess the cell phone company doesn't give a **** about us poor folks. Well I'm not really poor, but I live in a poor neighborhood.

Comment

and cell phones won't work at sea

not that I had a cell phone back then.

But I'm using logical reasoning that there are no cell phone towers in the middle of the ocean .

It should work when you get within a certain distance of San Diego or other cities in which your cell phone network has coverage. Line of Sight should be good enough distance. Due to the curvature of the earth, line of sight at sea level is about 12 miles.

Now if you had a satellite phone like Iridium (when they were still in business) that would work if you got on a weatherdeck I'm sure.

Now if the navy could sell some of their mast space to cell phone companies so there could be coverage in the ocean- that'd be cool

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
              Do you get more girls with such a cell phone? Otherwise I´m not interested

....Oh, but now as I think about it - maybe you get to know more girls, but can´t go into action because you spend most of your time babbling to them via cell phone

Those modern times...
              As it happens, the driving force was that a female friend of mine was tired of going through hoops making contact with me.
              Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell

, constantly being annoyed by people even when you're away from home, etc.

Yeah, now the Navy can find me wherever I am. But since every single person in my Division has a Cell phone/or point of Contact, I was getting to be the odd man out.
                Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

I find myslef turning my cell phone off more and more just because I don't want to always be reachable by people.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

i HAVE a cell phone..however, i have no service for it. i have games on it though
                    "Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy

Comment

I got one in august

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

"Can you hear me now?"

"Good."
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Don't anyone buy T0Mobile service. I have it and it seems like I never get a single when I need it.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

For those who got rid of their land line in favor of a cell phone: Have you saved money? On my landline I pay about $50/month a small amount of long distance calls. Most of this amount = basic service fees. If I could save money with a cell, I would buy one.

Does anyone have wireless internet access with their cell phone? Are you pleased with it?

Comment

Feephi,

I have saved money with my cell phone because 90% (on average, sometimes it was closer to 99.9%) of my calls were long distance. With verizon I paid 40 dollars for basic local service, caller id, call waiting, and voice mail, with no long distance (which ran about 25 bucks a month with the AT&T unlimited plan). That was a year and a half ago however. I now pay 50 bucks a month for unlimited long distance, unlimited minutes in my zone (which I'm in 95-99% of the time), caller id, call waiting, and voice mail.

I know verizon now has an unlimited long distance package now, but I'm not sure how much it costs.

I also lived in a sprint local area for a short while and just basic phone service, with cID, cw, & vm cost like 60 bucks a month. So I was certainly saving money when compared to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X