First Tobacco, Now They Are Going After Alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Tobacco, Now They Are Going After Alcohol

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

Raise Beer Tax to Reduce Teen Drinking - Report

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Congress and state legislatures should raise taxes on alcohol, especially beer, to discourage underage drinking, advisers to the government said on Tuesday.

The Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council also recommended more careful advertising of alcohol to ensure children do not get bombarded with pro-drinking messages.

"More young people drink alcohol than use other drugs or smoke tobacco, and underage drinking costs the nation an estimated $53 billion annually in losses stemming from traffic fatalities, violent crime, and other behaviors that threaten the well-being of America's youth," the Institute, commissioned by Congress to write the report, said in a statement.

"Alcohol is much cheaper today, after adjusting for inflation, than it was 30 to 40 years ago," the Institute said. "Higher tax rates should be tied to the Consumer Price Index to keep pace with inflation."

It said many studies had shown that raising prices deters underage drinkers.

CHANGING THE WAY SOCIETY VIEWS DRINKING

The report recommends concerted efforts to change the way society views drinking.

"The Motion Picture Association of America, for instance, should consider content about alcohol use when rating films, and assign mature ratings for movies that portray drinking in a favorable light," the Institute said.

Congress and the Health and Human Services Department should monitor advertising, movies, television programs, music recordings, and videos that may be seen by teens and children.

"We think it is reasonable to expect the industry to do more than it is now doing," Richard Bonnie, a law professor at the University of Virginia who chaired the committee, told a news conference.

Mothers Against Drunk Driving praised the report,

"Underage drinking is our nation's No. 1 youth drug problem," MADD president Wendy Hamilton said in a statement.

She said drinking killed 6.5 times more children and teens than all illicit drugs combined. "Only $71 million of the federal fiscal year 2000 budget was spent on underage drinking prevention. This mere pittance pales in comparison to the $18 billion spent on the war on drugs," she added.

ADVERTISING RECOMMENDATIONS

The Distilled Spirits Council of the United States said it was already moving to tighten its advertising recommendations, saying drinking-related ads should only go into media with a readership or viewership made up of 70 percent adults or more.

"This is a significant increase and replaces the previous provision that required a 51 percent adult audience," the group said in a statement.

"This is a step in the right direction, but the committee believes that the adult threshold for viewers or listeners should be raised even further," Bonnie said.

The Federal Trade Commission issued a separate report on Tuesday saying the alcohol industry had improved its self-regulation on advertising. "The report also found no evidence of targeting underage consumers in the flavored malt beverage market," the FTC said.

But the Beer Institute said calls for tax increases were misguided. "Experience has shown that the only clear results from increasing beer excise taxes are higher unemployment and higher prices for responsible adults -- such measures do nothing to lower teen drinking," Jeff Becker, President of Beer Institute, said in a statement.
    I wonder when they are gonna tax sex. Then the weekend would be completely ruined.
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

I don't know what taxing beer would do, considering that the average high school or college party would need approxamately 2 or 3 thirty packs @ 18 bucks a piece. If high school students can't scrape that much together for beer, then they shouldn't be drinking.

Besides, anything endorsed by MADD is suspect. Although they've done a lot to highlight drunk driving, they're a borderline prohibitionist organization, IMHO.
    If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Has imposing the ultimate tax on drugs - prohibition - resulted in less consumption by minors? Nah, this is just another money grab...

Comment

Well, it's better than them taxing me, so I'm all for it
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Just wait till they come after your favorite vice. Whatever you like doing just know there is someone waiting to start a moral crusade against it.
          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Just wait till they come after your favorite vice. Whatever you like doing just know there is someone waiting to start a moral crusade against it.
            There's a moral crusade against posting on internet forums?

Well...actually...don't answer that question
            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Down with alcohol! Up with marijuana!
              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell

There's a moral crusade against posting on internet forums?

Well...actually...don't answer that question

Wait until the Poly tax comes in the mail

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                  Down with alcohol! Up with marijuana!
                  I get tested for pot ever so often in my job. Alcohol on the otherhand is free flowing.

Comment

I'm still lost at the point where the claim was made that "underage" drinking is a problem. It's not a big problem in Europe - yet the legal drinking age is MUCH lower, and alcohol isn't considered "bad" by the general population.

Now, drinking and driving is a problem, as are alcohol-related crimes. These are problems for people of every age. Younger people probably commit more of these types of crimes, but that doesn't mean we should punish those who do NOT commit those crimes. If someone gets drunk and knocks over a 7-11, by all means lock him up. If an 18 year old wants to go out with some friends to a bar, have some drinks, and be driven home by a DD or a cab, then by all means, let him do it - or let his parents make the rules, if he lives with them.
                    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

There is a problem with underage drinking in this country because there is underage drinking. A lot of that problem would go away if drinking weren't seen as some big thing. If the age limit were 18 and not enforced, within a couple generations, I'm sure drinking would be viewed as normal and there'd be fewer problems with it.
                      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                      -Joan Robinson

Comment

There is a problem with underage drinking in this country because there is underage drinking.
                        Right, but I don't think this is actually a true problem. People make it an issue, but it isn't really a problem.
                        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd

Right, but I don't think this is actually a true problem. People make it an issue, but it isn't really a problem.
                          I don't entirely agree with you there. I think the forbidden nature of the alcohol makes people handle it worse than it is.
                          -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                            Has imposing the ultimate tax on drugs - prohibition - resulted in less consumption by minors? Nah, this is just another money grab...
                            this does not follow

Jon Miller
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
                              There is a problem with underage drinking in this country because there is underage drinking. A lot of that problem would go away if drinking weren't seen as some big thing. If the age limit were 18 and not enforced, within a couple generations, I'm sure drinking would be viewed as normal and there'd be fewer problems with it.
                              it is not enfoced currently

Jon Miller
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                              X