Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going too far? Banning peanut butter sandwiches because of ONE childs allergy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And that's the same sort of reaction the mother is claiming here... if he smells it, touches it, etc., the kid will die.

Comment

if he smells it, touches it, etc., the kid will die.
      I think I'd need some proof

Q: What if someone has a kid that is allergic to milk? Will they stop serving milk? What about a kid who is allergic to flowers? Will they remove all the flowers? What about dust?

Where does it end!!!
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Relatively nutritious? Yeah, I suppose that depends on relative to what. Ok, Peanut butter is pretty good but Jelly is what we call Jam right? Mostly sugar?
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

He's in Walnut Creek, that ain't rural...

He's gots both his parents; besides, you make sacrifices to avoid death... At least I'd think...
          These are all hypothetical; I didn't think he was your kid.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Hypothetical? That's too big of a word for me... Anyway, you don't make decissions based on one factor alone, like the school board did.
            Monkey!!!

Comment

This isn't just about peanut butter and jelly sandwiches though. There are peanuts (nut oils) in hundreds of things, things most people wouldn't even think of - the article gave sunblock as an example. Cereals, crackers, ice cream, health bars, pastries, candy, dips, pasta sauce.... the list goes on and on.

The school would have to ban ALL these items if the child's allergy was as severe as they claim. If it is so severe, the child can not attend school normally because even contact with peanut oil or inhaling peanut dust will cause a potentially fatal reaction. But if the child's allergy is not so severe, the school should NOT have to ban peanuts. The child is old enough to understand "DO NOT EAT PEANUTS", and can be supervised during lunch with little or no burden placed on the other students.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Seldon
                Ludicrous. People are overly sensitive these days and it's going to be civilization's downfall.

YOU HURT MY FEELINGS YOU BASTARD!

A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                  And that's the same sort of reaction the mother is claiming here... if he smells it, touches it, etc., the kid will die.
                  I would find that kinda spurious. I think that the fact that kids are messy and would likely get their lunch on themselves presents the most serious danger.

Suffering a massive allergy attack is a horrible way to go. As your airways swell shut, you go into convulsions trying to get some air into your body. You panic.

I still remember how scared I was when I was five years old and had a massive asthma attack. This was before effective medication, and I wonder how my folks felt watchnig their son convulsing on the floor to get air.

Anyway, the difference is that the airline was providing the peanuts, and it doesn't inconvenience them to provide another snack instead. On the other hand, as you mentioned, PB&Js are a major staple of the American child's diet.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

If it is really that serious, then other kids couldn't even eat peanuts out of school, and they have to make sure the janitors aren't eating peanuts after school. Its a major burden on many people and the school, and it doesn't even gaurentee the child will be safe!

I have no doubt this will be a lawsuit before Christmas.

Comment

• I'm sure Imran can find somewhere in the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution where it says that people have the right to liberty, pursuit of happiness and peanut butter.

Comment

• No who's stalking who?
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          No who's stalking who?
                          You might want to edit your post -- I believe you meant the word "now" and not "no."

Comment

• Nazi .
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• A kid at the (primary) school where my mother teaches had a severe allergy to peanuts. He'd go into anaphalactic shock and need a needle the size of a Prittstick stuck into his arm within three minutes to stop him dying. The school banned peanuts, told parents not to give their children peanuts or peanut butter. And the other kids mostly didn't mind, they wanted their friend to live... (in fact in several cases, other kids were harsher on peanut-bringers than the teachers were.)

If the allergy is that severe, banning peanuts is very sensible. Once he leaves primary school obviously his next school won't ban it. While he's young and there are kids even younger around making a mess, dropping sandwiches on the floor and stuff, its safer and easier to ban peanuts than to put his life at risk every day.
                              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

• THis is just stupid if you ask me.
                                Donate to the American Red Cross.
                                Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Working...
                                X