Google News does a VERY insensitive thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google News does a VERY insensitive thing

Today, Google News has directly shown a website which called the recent terrorist attacks as "martyrdom attacks". I am quite disgusted, and would e-mail them about this, but I really have to go to school in a couple of minutes, so if anyone else here could do it, that would be much appreciated.
    "http://news.google.com/url?q=http://www.timesofoman.com/newsdetails.asp%3Fnewsid%3D41047"
    "http://news.google.com/"
    "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Freedom of speech, baby. It's great to be American sometimes.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I don't see what the problem is. I reckon some guy died for his religious cause which would make him a martyr.

Comment

They ARE martyrdom attacks

Comment

Damn, that word never LOOKS right!

Comment

After reading OP, and looking at the OMAN link:

So?

Comment

Let´s Bomb Oman
              Blah

Comment

Re: Google News does a VERY insensitive thing

The Oman Times?
                Google just did what you asked and showed hits.
                Last edited by SlowwHand; September 9, 2003, 18:33.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

And some people who read the Times of Oman probably think half the other articles they post are insensitive.

Google news, for it to be effective, links to late-breaking news regardless of source. If you don't like the source, don't read the article! It's not like they're actually writing it.
                  All syllogisms have three parts.
                  Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Google News takes news from 4500 sources. None of them are edited and its front page is determined by a computer algorithm. There is no human to be insensitive along the way.
                    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

What's the prob?
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Bomb Google!!!
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

Martyrdom-related link since y'all ignored my thread on the issue.
                          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

@IW Good one.
                            American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                            I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                            Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                            XGalaga.

Comment

Remember, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter...and there is no escaping that axiom.
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X