Anti-War U.S. Marine Sentenced to Six Months in Jail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HershOstropoler
    I hate to say it, but I agree with that. And it's a bit odd, because I think that's the rule even for our opera army.
    I have to agree to. It's pretty clear these people aren' tconscientious objectors but are simply cowards who got coldfeet and deserted when they were asked to do their duty.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Also it is possible to leave voluntary military service; just if people are on a mission, any terminatiion takes effect only after the end of that mission. I assume that's similar for the US military?

Conscientious objection by volunteers only makes sense if there is a sudden and complete change of mind, which would have to be proven.
      “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

• When I was in that age, anybody refusing conscription got at least 1 month in jail. But that was during the cold war, when Sweden could mobilize 700 000 men with bicycles and sub-machine guns.

Today we have a smaller and sharper army where only a 1/3 of the male population is conscripted, so I guess it is easier to bail out without getting punished now.
        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Working...
        X