Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The lamest "top 100" list ever? Rolling Stones' 100 Greatest Guitarists.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The lamest "top 100" list ever? Rolling Stones' 100 Greatest Guitarists.

First, the link: http://www.rollingstone.com/features...n.asp?pid=1917

They are ranking the greatest guitarists (not just rock, but all forms of music), and to give you an idea as to how craptacular this list is, let me give you some entries:

1. Hendrix. The obvious choice, so obvious that Sophie could've chosen Jimi.
    2. Duane Allman
    3. BB King
    4. Eric Clapton
    5. Robert Johnson

Not so bad, you say? Just wait...

12. Kurt Cobain. The 12th greatest guitarist? Ever??
    13. Jerry Garcia. Oh, gimme a friggin' break!
    16. Johnny Ramone. Because bar chord songs that drunk 16 year olds can play just ROCK!!!
    21. George Harrison. Huh? Are you serious? Is he really 49 spots better than
    70. Eddie Van Halen? 70th!?!?!? Every friggin' kid who learned to play guitar during the entire decade of the 80's wanted to be Eddie Van Halen! Who the hell wanted to grow up to be George Harrison: Guitar God???
    72. Joni Mitchell. As to why the hell she is on this list, I can't even begin to fathom.
    82. David Gilmour. Eighty-freaking-two. After Joni Mitchell. After the guitarist for Fleetwood Mac. After the guitarist for Phish. Jesus wept. Bitterly.
    85. Randy Rhodes. Sorry, Randy, you're just not as good as Joni.
    86. Tommy Iommi. Well, if you're going to dis Randy, might as well throw in Tommy as well.
    87. Joan Jett. *JohnT drops dead in horror, revives, and then drops dead again*

And while CCR is a quality band, there is no way that Fogerty can be considered a better guitarist than EVH or Randy Rhodes.

Who did they leave out? A bunch of nobodies, including:

Joe Satriani
    Andres Segovia
    Al Demolia
    Slash
    The guitarist(s) for Lynyrd Skynyrd.
    Chet Atkins
    Django Reinhardt
    Charlie Christian
    Pat Methany
    Joe Pass
    Steve Vai

To be quite honest, a lot of the newer guitarists I've never heard of (I pretty much fell out of the music scene around 1992). But to think that they are better than Iommi, Segovia, Reinhardt, or Van Halen is pretty damned ignorant.

Top 100 lists, by definition, are lame anyways.
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Of course. But they are so fun to beyatch about, you know?

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
        Top 100 lists, by definition, are lame anyways.
        Yep

Take Clapton out of the top 50 please
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Pretty lame. And Clapton should be number one.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

And where's Steve Jones
            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Re: The lamest "top 100" list ever? Rolling Stones' 100 Greatest Guitarists.

Originally posted by JohnT

12. Kurt Cobain.
              The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Of course. But they are so fun to beyatch about, you know?

That's the point.

And the list does suck. Everyone knows that Jimmy Page is by far and away the #1 Guitarist of all time .

Kurt Cobain should have been in the Top 20, IMO. Johnny Ramone is ranked correctly, as is Harrison. HOWEVER, Eddie Van Halen should have been top 10.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Kurt Cobain should have been in the Top 20, IMO.

Why? He wasn't a very good guitar player (and this is coming from a fan).
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I thought he was pretty damned good. There were definetly some very good guitar work on 'Nevermind'.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I thought he was pretty damned good. There were definetly some very good guitar work on 'Nevermind'.

I guess if you consider basic power chords to be good guitar work...
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Basic power cords are the lifeblood of rock .

Comment

Eddie Van Halen and Randhi Rhodes are too far down for my tastes. They are my favourite guitarists of all time. Throw in Kirk Hammett in there as well. And Jimmy Page. Can't forget Hendrix to round out the top 5

Curt Kobain played some good tunes, but he wasn't that great of a guitarist. Listen to his live stuff for verification
                          Last edited by Dis; September 7, 2003, 02:35.

Comment

Basic power cords are the lifeblood of rock .

True, but they aren't a defining characteristic of great guitar work.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Why not? If you can really do power cords well, you are doing good rock, if basic power cords are the lifeblood of rock.

Comment

Working...
                              X