9/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uber KruX

on that day america's seemingly invunerable status was proven to be fake, but our greatest strength shined through brighter than ever.

E Pluribus Unum.
    you betcha
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Anyone see the Discovery Channel show on the Ground Zero rebuilding? The dude's design for the area is cool, and really well thought out...
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DanielXY
        I would do so too...
        Your wedding affects you more than the terrorist atacks, heck even a one-night-stand affects you more...

I suppose for most ppl. lives terrorist atacks are meaningless (maybe some shock for a little time while watching the news ... and thats about it)
        well i live in greater washington. The attacks affected my professional life (if only because offices were closed) meant my kid was out of school. It meant I met neighbors at a local memorial service. It impacts the way I commute (when they rebuilt the metro station at the Pentagon) how i enter buildings, security at schools, synagogue, etc. It has meant jersey walls infront of what had been attractive buildings.

My friends and relatives in New York were even more directly effected.

A nephew of my wife was injured that day - he was a paramedic, and went to the WTC. Fortunately the injuries were minor. My inlaws, holocaust survivors, were traumatized when the streets of their Brooklyn neighborhood were filled with smoke and ashes. I know people in Washington who climbed out of the burning Pentagon.

3,000 were killed (yes, people of all nations, not just Americans) - but what quite a few Americans recall is that we lucked out to have only 3000 die - the fourth plane could have rendered more damage - if the WTC had fallen earlier thousands more would have died - a total of 50,000 were at work in the WTC that day. And certainly AQ would have been happy at that. Indeed even now they may be working to kill many more than that.

At least over here it did change alot.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
          Well, it made me change careers...

I suppose that day highlighted different things for different people. For me, living in an Islamic country -- even a secular one -- on 9/11 and after drove home the fact that people elsewhere just plain didn't understand the US, its people and its culture (okay, so 'Poly drove that home, too ). I really wanted to do something for my country in that moment, and the thing I wanted to do most -- and seemed most qualified to do -- was publicly represent the US abroad. I spent a year boning up on old, forgotten facts and learned some new ones (especially about economics and management theory), and took the foreign service exam in Sept. 2002; I passed the exam, interviewed in March, and was offered a job on the spot. I've just been given security and medical clearances, and will head to DC in January for a few months training before being sent who-knows-where.

Good luck - theres a lot of hard work ahead for the Foreign Service.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Uber KruX
            oh, and about the "most of them innocent", were there any statistics taken on this? were any of them guilty of anything that could even remotely be constrewed as violence towards the middle east?
            You forget them killed themselves as well. Furthermore, one could argue that some of the corporations in those buildings had killed thousands of people themselves, only they used money to do it, rather than fire and metal.

This should not be taken as a justification. Just know that not everyone who died had clean hands.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
              Show me where lame ass. All I've posted in this thread was a sarcastic response to Michael's Allende troll (which isn't even on topic) and a regular response to the observations about fear of commercial aircraft.

In what diseased, mentally incompetent universe does this count as a troll?
              I'm sure what this thread needed was one more asinine, moronic comment about the president of the US by the latest non Amercian twit to deposit his meager allowance into the debate.

In what diseased, mentally incompetent universe did your sophomoric comment add any value to a thread about the effects of horrible acts?
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I would have liked this thread to have been purely a memorial thread, and others interested in related debates could just create another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                  Anyone see the Discovery Channel show on the Ground Zero rebuilding? The dude's design for the area is cool, and really well thought out...
                  have you seen the recent protests?

The victim's families are still upset. They are upset because they are doing work on the "footprints" of the buildings. The exact spot the buildings stood. But they don't understand you have to run power, water, and sewage lines underneath. Not to mention subway lines. I think the plan does plan to leave the "footprints" as the memorial part, but they still have to run the lines underneath. But they are still protesting this.

Comment

Apologies for my part, MrFun.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Oh well -- it's always an Apolytoner's fantasy that he/she can control how his/her thread unfolds . . . .

Comment

• I can say that 9/11 has only affected my monetarily because of the economic impact. But that impact is very minor. The recession started the previous year, and I cannot put a number on how much 9/11 affected me monetarily.

It affected me emotionally as I said in my first post in this thread. But that feeling has faded. All I feel is a numbness. I don't get emotional when I see the 2 towers in a movie or tv show now. It's only a mild curiosity.

Other than that, I can't think of how it affected me. Security hasn't changed me at all. I haven't flown since 9/11. Not out of fear, but because I have nowhere to go. All my vacations I prefer to drive to because they are close and I like to go camping with my truck. Other homeland security hasn't affected me at all. Sure they may be spying on me, but I don't know about it.

But I still find this picture hilarious. don't ask me why.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• That plane really does look AWFULLY close.

Comment

• Yikes!

I quess they just held a memorial service for a firefighter killed then. Couldn't find his body, so they buried a vile of his donated bone marrow. But I wonder how come it took so long?

Know anyone famous, whose bday is then?

It seems to me, that Pentagon has been all but forgotten. People died there too, y'know.
                            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

• Originally posted by Dissident
                              But I still find this picture hilarious. don't ask me why.
                              I'll see your pic and raise you this one:
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Who you gonna call?

I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Working...
                                X