Forestation of the desert, and general terraforming thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azazel
    I don't think he meant THAT long time ago.

IIUC the hill country of eretz Israel - Judea, Samaria, (nothing political in using these terms for this period) and I believe the Galil were forested through the Bronze age. They were converted to terraced agriculture in the early iron - IE the beginnning of the Israelite period. Leading at least some archaeologists/historians to identify the settlement of the hill country (by ex-serf refugees from Egyptian dominated lowland Canaanite cities?) as the ultimate basis for the Exodus story.

Mt. Lebanon continued to be forested well into the iron age - the famous cedars of Lebanon.

So forest would seem to be the natural ecology for the hill country, NOT desert.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Re: Forestation of the desert, and general terraforming thread

Now the question is, is the enviromental impact positive or negative?
      If forestation is done to prevent further desertification, or to reverse previous desertification, excellent. Though turning deserts like the Sahara into a huge forest could be very bad for overall climatic patterns, even if doing so is realistic (e.g. no need to use huge amounts of water, etc.).
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

It really hinges on why the area isn't forested. If it is "normal" climate change then leave it be. If it is because humans once chopped down all the trees then it is worth looking at. Even then it may not be feasible or economic.
        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

lotm: the area wasn't heavily forested. At times of lack of human population it had many trees, but at times of human population it was bare. You can see it from an early pic of the road to Jerusalem. Completely bare hills. Now, of course, it is covered by trees.

Osweld: noone's talking about having that. there are forests in the region, with local species, though the places that I am talking about were mostly arid.

UR:
          a)explain how and why.
          b)I hardly think that forests in the depth of the Sahara are sustainable, though I do think that the edges have plenty of potential.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

lotm: the area wasn't heavily forested. At times of lack of human population it had many trees, but at times of human population it was bare. You can see it from an early pic of the road to Jerusalem. Completely bare hills. Now, of course, it is covered by trees.
            Az - you have a bronze age pic of the road to Jerusalem??? Flabbergasting!!!

End of bronze age - circa 1200 BCE.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I always thought forestation is great idea Forests are much better than deserts. When I was in Holland, I saw the area they reclaimed from the sea. There are some great forests there now.

And "desert species" seem to be an unimportant category. What, scorpions, ants...?

If Israel can financially do it, I think forestation is a great idea. But how to do it? Desalinization of sea water is pretty expensive. Libyans spent 5 billion dollars (AFAIK) on a pipeline that will bring water from an inland oasis to the coast. They would not have done it if desalinization was feasible. So the money involved in massive forestation seems, well, massive.. to me at least.

Comment

I was talking about the beginning of the century.

yes, and that was approx. the time when the population in the area has significantly dwindled, though the terasses were already constructed on the hills ( which hold on to this very day, and were one of the earliest in the world!! ).

But this is irrelevant. the forestation was more of a dense bush, and not of a dense forest.

VetLegion: in many desert areas, the limited rainfall is actually quite enough to sustain a forest!
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Another thing, forests are great for guerrilla warfare...

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld

That's a pretty big "aside".
                    How do you figure? So a few scorpions, cacti and nomads have to move on, so what.

Comment

UR:
                      a)explain how and why.
                      b)I hardly think that forests in the depth of the Sahara are sustainable, though I do think that the edges have plenty of potential.

Far be it for me to talk for UR but I what I read into his statement was that it's ok to do these projects if it's to reclaim land from the desert if deforestation was caused my human interference but to just go around trying to turn all deserts into forest isn't so great. I believe the Sahara example was an example of a project best not tried. Although prevention of the desert from expanding seems to be an attainable goal.
                      Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

I was talking about the beginning of the century.

yes, and that was approx. the time when the population in the area has significantly dwindled, though the terasses were already constructed on the hills ( which hold on to this very day, and were one of the earliest in the world!! ).
                        !
                        My understanding is that the population was limited in late bronze (after being substantial in early or middle bronze - i forget which) The area was forested in late bronze, and the forests were cleared and the terraces built in early iron - the land was agricultural throughout the israelite period - see tanach, as well as archaelogical sources - all those judean, ephraimite villages, etc were in the hill country. The low country was the home of the canaanite cities and commercial agriculture - the hill country was the self-sufficient israelite farmers with their relatively egalitarian social code (and of course when David conquered the low country he led to a more hierarachical royal society, opposed by prophets with roots in the old israelite hill country tradition)

Comment

Can you plant forest in the deserts in Civ?
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                            Can you plant forest in the deserts in Civ?

You can in SMAC
                            Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Re: Forestation of the desert, and general terraforming thread

discuss.
                              I don't like doing what others tell me to do.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba

How do you figure? So a few scorpions, cacti and nomads have to move on, so what.
                                Now, now -- don't want PETA to start advocating equal rights for scorpions along with all the other animals they're putting under their wings, do we?
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X