Forestation of the desert, and general terraforming thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forestation of the desert, and general terraforming thread

as some of you may know, there are effort to plant forests in desert areas. We have those in Israel, as well, and they are very successful. Now the question is, is the enviromental impact positive or negative?

discuss.
    urgh.NSFW

aside from the displacement of species native to the desert, there wouldn't be much negative impact... in fact, we would have the benefit of more oxygen producing forests as well as providing habitats for endangered species. I think.

Comment

That's my pov. Personally I think that just like in the case of Hydroelectrical power, the global benefits outweigh the local negatives. (though in the case of the hydroelectrical, the local negatives are larger).

Generally, I think more should be invested in such projects, on a massive scale. It used to be a large employment creating thing around here, once.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by finkian
        aside from the displacement of species native to the desert, there wouldn't be much negative impact... in

That's a pretty big "aside".
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

The Middle-East used to be forested anyway, did it not? Anyway, this is a good idea, although if it needs to be watered with aquifer or river water, then it's a senseless peice of whimsy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
            The Middle-East used to be forested anyway, did it not? Anyway, this is a good idea, although if it needs to be watered with aquifer or river water, then it's a senseless peice of whimsy.

No it doesn't need to watered. crops do, however.

In previous times, he middle-east wasn't forested, esp. the desert. the hillside was bare, as long as human settlement existed, because of the need for firewood.

Osweld: that's not a big aside at all. the loss of native populations is barely relevant, since it will be a local problem. just like in the dams (spawning fish are a different issue. )
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Aren´t such projects extremely expensive? Esp. water supply? I mean does the effect justify the money spent? I really don´t know, just interested

edit: just saw your last post
              Blah

Comment

it's too easy to relocate most desert species to a different desert.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman

The middle east was forested, but it's definitely been a loooong time. If it hadn't been forested, there wouldn't be all that nice oil.

Comment

I don't think he meant THAT long time ago.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

(blushes and hides)

Comment

In the early middle/dark ages there was forest in some areas that are desert today
                        Blah

Comment

If done on a massive scale, wouldn't it 'pull' water away from other parts?
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

You know, this planet is becoming just one huge park/nature preserve.

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel

Osweld: that's not a big aside at all. the loss of native populations is barely relevant, since it will be a local problem. just like in the dams (spawning fish are a different issue. )
                              There's no such thing as a local enviromental problem.

And endagering one ecosystem so you can have pandas climbing around in the mid-east or whatever is pretty ridiculous.
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                              X