What's the best RPG game of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best RPG game of all time?

When I was younger I played D&D, AD&D, Traveller, MERP, Rolemaster and various other roleplaying games.

But without doubt the best one I ever played and IMHO the best one ever created was Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, produced by Games Workshop back when they were still a serious company.

Surprisingly the game is still in print (owned by Hogshead publishing) and has its own up to date fanzine "Warpstone".

WFRP managed to avoid the problems of AD&D (over powered characters, playing off special abilities against each other, the ridiculous combat and magic systems, what's the point of Fighters when you can have a Paladin, etc.) and provided a much more roleplaying, as opposed to a dice rolling, game.

Who could argue with 130 different character classes? During my playing days I played a Hunter, a Rat Catcher, a Highwayman, a Scribe, and a Troll Slayer among others.

And any game that doesn't have Zoats just sucks!!!!

What's your favourite?
    Only feebs vote.

Favorite RPG: RealLife1.0

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
      Favorite RPG: RealLife1.0
      ReaLife never made good Rocket Propelled Grenades.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

AD&D second edition. First edition was more original but it was as well organized and 3rd edition (from what little I've seen of it) is a over powered munkin fest. Gurps was interesting but to complicated to be much fun (Wait, we have to stop and look up yet another rule!) and Steve Jackson's orginial Star Wars RPG had a novel yet workable and fun take on how to play and RPG.

Of course I haven't played an RPG in 10 years so things could have changed alot.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Re: What's the best RPG game of all time?

Originally posted by Agathon
          But without doubt the best one I ever played and IMHO the best one ever created was Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, produced by Games Workshop back when they were still a serious company.
          Warhammer bored me because of the whole switching class thing. Switching classes is the whole point of the game and most people seemed to follow the same 3-4 career paths which made the game even more generic.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Re: Re: What's the best RPG game of all time?

Originally posted by Oerdin

Warhammer bored me because of the whole switching class thing. Switching classes is the whole point of the game and most people seemed to follow the same 3-4 career paths which made the game even more generic.
            It's the players who make the game. We often randomized character class so as to make it more interesting.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

I never played board RPG's, only comsole and computer ones. As such, my favorite of all times was Dragon Warrior 4 for the NES...5 storylines becoming one
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Bard's Tale III.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Mine.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Or rather, the one designed by my "company"
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

It's a toss-up between Cyberpunk and Vampire: the Masquerade. (Note: more women played when I GMed Vampire )
                      - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                      - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                      - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

They should make a movie of the World of Darkness. That would be awesome. Whitewolf "created" a very cool universe.

Comment

Warhammer sounds good just because of the existance of skaven, you just can't beat skaven. Used to play the war game for hours with risk pieces, legos etc (we were to cheap to buy models) and nothing could ever stand up to my lego cannon warplard jezzels (sp!)

As far as RPGs go I played a little wierd D&D, AD&D 1st and 2nd edition hybrid (we didn't have any full sets of books) in middle school and that's it, and having a good GM does a LOT more than having a good game system if you don't like the rules just **** with them. My two major characters were a demented kobold berzerker and a halfling wizard who only cast magic to avoid danger (ie casting invisibility and running away repeatedly) who later became a gladiatorial manager and a were-hippo...
                          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

my bf's is Xenogears...
                            at the moment mine is either FF9 or Xenosaga
                            "Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy

Comment

The true best one -- of all time . . . .

Finally Fantasy III

those adorable Moogles, and those powerful Espers.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X