Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do Geeks Get All Irate About Microsoft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do Geeks Get All Irate About Microsoft?

I've never seen the big problem with Microsoft.

The computer world is far better served by one operator than a multitude of competing ones.
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Yeah, they probably taught you how bad competition is on your economics course.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

He never understood any of his econ material
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Competition isn't always beneficial. Just like competition isn't beneficial between right- and left-hand drive cars, between different widths of railway track, or between operating systems.
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

you answered your won question Park

why do GEEKS get all irate about MS?
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Competition serves as a kick up the ass for both systems, increasing quality at both ends. It most certainly is good. As long as any competing systems use the same protocals so they can communicate, I think its a good thing.
            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
            "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Competition is good, but in case of computers, it benefits the standard user that MS have a monopoly and their software is all over the world.

There are geeks who respect MS, you know .
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

*ahem*
                Attached Files
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Naw, geeks hate MS because Gates is the ubergeek, and everyone else is just jealous...
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

I thought that was an anti-BSD pic for a sec!
                    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

Microsoft is hated widely by geeks for any of the following reasons, usually:
                      1) They tried and didn't get hired by MS
                      2) They're open source zealots
                      3) Personal jealousy of Bill Gates
                      4) Communist (redundant with #2 )
                      5) They're fundamentally pretty slow geeks, because they honestly believe having lots of OSes is somehow good for the consumer.

Either way you look at it, they're always fun to bug. Most of them tend to be lowly network technicians or something else that has the same stature as a gas jockey in the computer world.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Microsoft products have their place, the really stupid IT people are the ones that only look to M$ to solve their problems when in the real world there are a lot of things that M$ doesn't have products for.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

I too dont see what the big deal with microsoft is. I dont like the bugs, but every program has bugs and it better to have a standarize OS then millions of different ones.
                          Donate to the American Red Cross.
                          Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Get a life Asher j/k

I think, in terms of the market and product quality, there to be say two, three or four different desktop OS's with equal share (though we'll probably have to wait until at least 2008 for that). That way, the product quality will increase. So MS's profits will decrease, I wont shed any tears, I dont give a damn. As long as the system on my computer is good and getting better, I'm happy.

Comment

Originally posted by elijah
                              Get a life Asher j/k

I think, in terms of the market and product quality, there to be say two, three or four different desktop OS's with equal share (though we'll probably have to wait until at least 2008 for that). That way, the product quality will increase. So MS's profits will decrease, I wont shed any tears, I dont give a damn. As long as the system on my computer is good and getting better, I'm happy.
                              3 or 4 OS systems?? That would a big pain in ass for everyone involve. It makes life easier on every one when there is one OS. This would be a nightmare.
                              Donate to the American Red Cross.
                              Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Working...
                              X