No announcement yet.

Are You Ready For Some FootBall - Week 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't understand why you guys obsess over the past...
    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
    Drake Tungsten
    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
    Albert Speer

Comment

• Because it is fun to compare .

It's why baseball is such an awesome, compare the stars of the past to the present. Because some of those people were damned good.

After all, the best RB in the history of the game isn't Payton, Allen, Simpson, Dickerson, Smith, Sanders, Dorsett, etc... it's Jim Brown who played in the 50s and 60s and just watching old footage of the man is a treat.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Oh yes, like how the red sox were phenomenal back in the late 1910s? Maybe I can get into this after all...
        "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
        Drake Tungsten
        "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
        Albert Speer

Comment

• 1. Jim Brown was awesome. It's hard to get over my Chicago-centric view of the world to admit it, but as a pure running back, he was the best. (And, geezer that I am, I'm pleased to say that I got to see him play.)

If you put all-around skills into the equation (they seldom threw to Brown), Payton is back in the picture.

2. I'd still like to do some research, but concede that Swann may be the man...

3. Re Bradshaw vs. Staubach -- I don't see anything compelling in your stat check. How about comparing the true measure of a QB's worth -- leadership skills and championships????? (Especially if you limit the discussion to the 70s!!!!)
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• mono: Yes... but they stunk soon after. What most people realize is that Ruth's last year in Boston, they finished 6th. So it wasn't like they started losing after they dealt him away.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Re Bradshaw vs. Staubach -- I don't see anything compelling in your stat check. How about comparing the true measure of a QB's worth -- leadership skills and championships?????

Give Staubach that amazing Pittsburgh defense and I'm sure you'd be crooning over Roger's amazing championships .

And Staubach had no lack of leadership skills??! (and I HATE the Cowboys).

You don't see anything compelling?!! 57% completion percentage vs. 51% completion percentage isn't compelling?! That's a big difference.

If you put all-around skills into the equation (they seldom threw to Brown)

They didn't need to throw to Brown . He could catch though. He had around 20-30 catches a year. Remember this was an era when the top reciever on the Browns had around 30-40 receptions.
              Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; September 10, 2003, 17:23.

Comment

• Yeah, buddy!
                I don't leave it at talking up a guy here, where it doesn't matter.
                No siree.

To the Sports Editor at Tampa newspaper, c.c. to the writer I like at Dallas News.

Dear Mr. Maas,

I wanted to make sure the people of Tampa Bay know exactly what a role-model they have in Joe Jurevicius.
                No, I'm not talking about the excellent concentration he showed in making catches Monday night, although that was certainly a pleasure to behold.
                What I refer to is the manner Joe conducts himself on the playing field.
                When he makes a play, he gets up and HANDS the ball to the referee, without excessive celebration for doing his job.
                Not tosses. Hands the ball.
                How refreshing in these days of pampered and spoiled athletes.

Most Sincerely,

Sloww Hand
                Texas
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• I didn't know he had a premature son that died this year... That really sucks...
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

• I didn't know jack about him until Monday night really.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

• Hey, Slow... back your boy Staubach against people who say Bradshaw is better .

Comment

• I figure if they're so stupid they say Bradsghaw over Staubach, they aren't worth my notice.

They call themselves football-knowledgeable?
                        Ha! My lily-white ass.

Comment

• Imran that's a pretty funny list.

Emmit Smth RB?
                          Okay, debateable.

Rathman FB?
                          Don't think so.

How did Emmitt get all his yards? Great O-line sure, but he also had another thing Sanders didn't have:

A FB named Darryl "Moose" Johnston, the best FB of the 90's.

And I hate Dallas.

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Dallas hates you back. Call it evenl.

Comment

• Sloww: I assume the Tampa paper you're talking of is the Tribune?
                              CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
                              Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
                              Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
                              Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

• Yes. The Tribune.

Comment

Working...
                                X