France, Germany Criticize Iraq Resolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oerdin
    Mike: I'd have to disagree with you on this one. The original cease fire . . .
    Only timed cease-fire's autmoatically expire. Since the cease-fire was with the UN, it was fully within the UN's pervue to decide whether or not to restart hostilities.

BTW, there's no such thing as a a war with a twevle year cease fire. This was two seperate wars.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Defiant
      Ming,
      I am going to insult someone but its RUSSIA, GERMANY AND FRANCE.
      I don't want help from those pieces of sh!t. If we need more troops send the 75000 from Germany, or send the 75000 troops home and send 75000 troops to Iraq that may be better suited, I.
      Problem with that is those troops are not considered "deployed" Ie they are in comfy places where they have housing for their families. And they are supposed to be doing training, etc. Cant units deployed in definitely. Right now the plan is to have units spend one year deployed, then 6 months off. With deployments in Korea, Afghan, and Iraq, that basically accounts for ALL active combat and MP units in the army. Cant increase that deployment tempo without creating recruitment retention problems, and probably reducing troop training and quality. Could use more Nat. Guard, but theyre already strained and having recruitment problems. Could use the Marines, but you want some reserve in case of Korea or some other contingency.

Only real alternative is to count on getting enough Iraqis trained in time to rotate our troops. Depends how much of a gambler you are. If everything goes right - nothing gets worse in Iraq than it is today, and the recruitment and training goes well, we might be able to get along without more international troops. US generals are paid to NOT be gamblers, so they want the extra troops.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
        All things being equal, I'd rather have more UN involvement, even if it is in the form of troops under our control. This would allow for less American deaths, and less American faces to blame for things in Iraq.

Ideally, I'd like to see a UN force and authority come in and take control of all of Iraq's rebuilding duties, with the US simply remaining on the offensive in search of Saddam and terrorists.
        No****, Sherlock. So did Bush.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

No****, Sherlock. So did Bush.
          so that's why he doesn't want the UN to control anything, right?
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Don't want the UN to control anything because they have the bizzaro midas touch - anything they touch turns into a problem.
            -rmsharpe

Comment

Ming,
              I don't want help from those pieces of sh!t. If we need more troops send the 75000 from Germany, or send the 75000 troops home and send 75000 troops to Iraq that may be better suited, I don't know if the troops in Germany are the kind we need in Iraq.
              Oh please, do it. Do it now! No need to hesitate. Pull them out, quick! We'll applaud. Good riddance!

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                I have to break with the anti-war movement on this issue. It's better for almost everyone in the long run if the US remains, or at least the UN. But I see no reason for the UN to get involved if they don't have any athority.
                the notion of having UN troops under US command was apparently suggested by Kofi Annan himself.

And the nations most likely to contribute troops - Turkey, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh - will probably not have much input in running Iraq, no matter how much say the "UN" gets.

what this boils down to is this - the aforesaid 4 countries who want to improve their relations with the US and get US paid experience for their troops, want UNSC cover to make it more palatable domestically. France, Germany and Russia can deny this cover, unless the US offers control to THEM. They get the control (in the form of a UN rep who reports to the UNSC) in exchange for putting their votes to a resolution - NOT in exchange for troops - Schroeder has already said no troops anyway. Russia may contribute troops though.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Oh please, do it. Do it now! No need to hesitate. Pull them out, quick! We'll applaud. Good riddance!
                  How's your ecomony doing?

Doesn't matter, Poland is going to be the next European leader.
                  Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

uhmmm yeah, we're not doing so hot either...

Doesn't matter, Poland is going to be the next European leader
                    nah, just like Russia... a cesspool...
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

uhmmm yeah, we're not doing so hot either...

nah, just like Russia... a cesspool...
                      Yea, we are not doing that great and we are still #1.

Poland will be different, US backed.
                      Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

Fine. Yours?

Doesn't matter, Poland is going to be the next European leader.
                        In car theft they already are.

Comment

so that's why he doesn't want the UN to control anything, right?
                          Now? Screw them, now.
                          Britian is co-running.
                          They have the right. Been there since Day 1; unlike France and Germany and Russia who's only concern was hiding their dirty deals.
                          You're amazing. Truly.

AND, you don't understand 1441 either.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Yea, we are not doing that great and we are still #1.
                            not in terms of standard of living or quality of life... GDP is the wrong way to judge such things... just because a handful of super-rich corporations are doing well, doesn't mean the rest of us are.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

AND, you don't understand 1441 either.
                              you're right... I don't understand your warped interpretation of it...
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The Russians will gladly pitch in.

They want their oil fields back, after all.
                                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X