No announcement yet.

Microsoft screw up again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenBSD is overly anal about security. If you've ever had to use it, you'd realize just how much of a pain in the ass it is. Of course, this isn't a problem with the market it's aimed for, but to compare it with Windows or even Linux is downright dishonest.
    Yeah, OpenBSD is pretty much in a field of its own, its not right to use it as a basis for comparison. Thats nothing against OpenBSD, in terms of achieving its design goals, its gotta be on a par with Windows.

But fundamentally people.. these are operating systems!!! We're not talking about deep philosophy, important politics or life and death! That is, after all, what the OT is all about! Me thinks drugs are in order here!
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

you know, i have agree, sometimes software designers make really odd decisions. like, we can't figure out how to assign all authenticated users in our domain power user rights on every workstation using a group policy set from the server.

but really, all this flak microsoft's getting... yes, poor decisions were made. it's the case with virtually all software. but really? half of microsoft's problem is stupid users.

these are the same people who will complain about how windows crashes, and then ask if we've heard about this linux thing, and whether we're going to upgrade to linux--without having the foggiest clue what gnu/linux really is. and since they're so frustrated with windows, they hate microsoft for "making a bad program".
      'course, when it turns out the system's unstable because they have three viruses, adware up the wazoo, and 5 installations of acrobat reader (five entries in the registry, anyway), it's not their fault. it's microsoft's.

microsoft windows is only a target because it is the most widely used os. you can bet if macs had won the day, we'd be hearing about the latest security flaw in shiny new panther.

and on a final note, there's a tradeoff between utility and security. you can have the most secure server in the world, invulnerable to being cracked. of course, then it wouldn't be on a network, period, and locked away behind six-feet-wide steel doors.
      it's the same way with software. your average idio--um, user, doesn't know the difference between: a backup user, a remote connection user, an administrator, a user, and a power user. for a long time, microsoft's policy has been to open up everything, allowing users to do anything they wanted, and if they wanted to close the doors, they'd have to do it themselves.

they're starting to change that now, with trustworthy computing, but that's why you have all these issues. win32 api was initially designed before the internet was big.
      B♭3

Comment

Working...
      X