No announcement yet.

I live on an interesting block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of poor minorities, homeless and epidemic drug use that stimulates gang activity.
    He says they are a factor... that they stimulate crime... I know that whenever I am around a poor person or a minority I get this sudden urge to start stealing and killing
    Monkey!!!

Comment

I get an urge to pre-emptively self-defend.
      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Actually, I parsed that sentence as only impying that epidemic drug use stimulates gang activity, whereas being a poor minority or homeless makes you more likely to commit acts of violence.

Now, if he were to go the extra step and refute all socioeconomic theories for correlation between race, poverty, and violence then I'd ream him....
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I suggest we need a cull.
          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

There's a lot of violence in NE and SE and a good amount of petty street crime in NW, but somehow Metro PD can get a million dollars to combat underage drinking around all the local universities. Defining deviancy up, indeed...
            Well, I'm pretty much not impacted by the violence (NW). It's amazing the block-by-block differences you have in a city with so many murders. There have been some troubling indicators that I have seen over the last couple of months, however. If I only get a glimpse, you can guess that other areas of the city are getting creamed.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Odd. For some reason I thought of LA to be the hellhole and Washington to be a rather clean place.
              Come to think of it, maybe thats because they made the goverment building in such a pretty white ... otoh ...
              If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

Parts of Washington are pretty extreme hellholes. Parts are quite nice. The city is actually making progress in a lot of areas. From the top of my building, I can see a half dozen building cranes off in the direction of a previously bad section. The chaos is being pushed back.
                Last edited by DanS; September 2, 2003, 16:33.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Park Avenue
                  CHiacgo looks pretty rough..
                  Most of those are gang/drug related.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

A True Story of Forensic Medicine

Years ago a good friend of mine did his residency at Maryland General in downtown Baltimore. The ER part of the rotation was always interesting, especially on the weekends, and this Saturday night was no exception.

Round about midnight a woman came into the ER with cuts all over her head and arms. My friend set to work treating her wounds. A few minutes later a man comes in, also with cuts on his arms, but not as serious as the woman's. On closer examination my friend finds that this man has a bullet hole in his pants, but no corresponding wound in his leg. wtf????? Just as my freind is about to tend this man's wounds, a second man limps into the ER with a badly sprained ankle. He catches sight of the first two, and all sorts of screamin', hollerin' and carryin' on ensues. The police are called, the three parties are hauled into separate rooms, and order is restored.

Turns out that the woman was in bed with man #1. Just as they were getting, shall we say, warmed up, man #2, the woman's husband, comes home. The woman headed for the window first, still fully clothed. The first man followed her out the window, stopping just long enough to grab his pants. The husband pulled a gun and took a wild shot, hitting the pants, but not the man in them. He then followed the first two out said window, twisting his ankle when he hit the ground.

Ah, Charm City....
                    Old posters never die.
                    They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      I'm refraining, on the assumption that he's not claiming an innate correlation between race and violence.
                      Thank you for refraining. I'm being lazy. Let me clarify.

Drugs and associated gang violence, homelessness and high rates of poverty are among the reasons why Washington D.C. is the murder capital of the U.S.

I am not saying that that minorities cause crime. What I meant to say is that the population makeup of the district is comprised by a majority (60% according to the 2000 census) of African Americans and other minorities (~15%). Since those groups are disproportionately plagued by crime, STDs, drug use, violence and other social ills, the statistics are magnified when those groups compose a majority in an area. If one were to look at the crime statistics for the city, that thesis would be bourne out.

If one were to compare the statistics from D.C.'s Second Police District to another where the population is comprised mostle of minorities, like the Sixth or Seventh districts, the violent crime rates shoot up.

I am not saying that being a minority in D.C. makes you criminal. I am saying that all the problems that disproportionately effect minorities in the U.S. due to the usual "sociological factors" are amplified in the District.

On a side, and possibly irrelevant note, I'm not saying that half the city is a hellhole. There is a vibrant sense of community in the eastern half of the city that is overshadowed by the violence. Some of my friends who grew up in SE D.C. love it there and are appalled by the violence and drugs that run rampant. There are a lot of community efforts to clean up the place, but the city pays little attention to the communities in greatest need.
                      If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Re: A True Story of Forensic Medicine

Originally posted by Adam Smith
                        Years ago a good friend of mine did his residency at Maryland General in downtown Baltimore. The ER part of the rotation was always interesting, especially on the weekends, and this Saturday night was no exception.

Round about midnight a woman came into the ER with cuts all over her head and arms. My friend set to work treating her wounds. A few minutes later a man comes in, also with cuts on his arms, but not as serious as the woman's. On closer examination my friend finds that this man has a bullet hole in his pants, but no corresponding wound in his leg. wtf????? Just as my freind is about to tend this man's wounds, a second man limps into the ER with a badly sprained ankle. He catches sight of the first two, and all sorts of screamin', hollerin' and carryin' on ensues. The police are called, the three parties are hauled into separate rooms, and order is restored.

Turns out that the woman was in bed with man #1. Just as they were getting, shall we say, warmed up, man #2, the woman's husband, comes home. The woman headed for the window first, still fully clothed. The first man followed her out the window, stopping just long enough to grab his pants. The husband pulled a gun and took a wild shot, hitting the pants, but not the man in them. He then followed the first two out said window, twisting his ankle when he hit the ground.

Ah, Charm City....
                        Bal-ti-more! Bal-ti-more!

Woot!
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by orange
                          most murders per capita right?
                          I know Baltimore has the most STDs per capita in the country.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Double woot!
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I am not saying that being a minority in D.C. makes you criminal.
                              Yet, for some reason, being a republican does:hmm:
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

The more Republicans take over, the better chance I get employment K Street, here I come.
                                If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Working...
                                X