No announcement yet.

Programmers please read.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can find something with regex find and replace, use this for the regex.
    (space)*B.*
    * is a wildcard that means "zero or more of the previous character"
    . is a wildcard that means "any character"
    That will match both of those cases.
    American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
    I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
    Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
    XGalaga.

Comment

Just expot it into Access,
      write a small VBA Solution and then reconvert it into Text

If it is in a compatible Format to convert it (i.e. all Fields are separated, for example by Commas or by Tabs) there should be no Problem
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Hold that..........I can see how 2 separate replace "(space) with " can solve the problem for the main 2 cases. I can also see now that removing all spaces with find and replace is easy (I didn't think before it woudl work).

If there is a more complex problem I'll bug Geeslaka.

Cheers all.

Doc
        Last edited by DrSpike; September 1, 2003, 13:43.

Comment

* waits to be bugged *
          It's the monday after Labor Day so I have no school and lots of better things to do that need ignoring.

Edit: typo
          Last edited by geeslaka; September 1, 2003, 14:17.
          American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
          I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
          Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
          XGalaga.

Comment

Well I've finished for the day now. I'll check tomorrow and see if I need a "clever" solution. Right now I think the blunt method will work. I had no idea find and replace would recognise and remove (space) without any unwanted side-effects, which of course there would be in a normal setting - I was envisaging doing a find and replace for each separate code.

And I said "bug". There are other people around here who can help you with your other problem.

Comment

Dr. Spike

If you need to remove leading spaces only, then you will need to install some more software on your machine. There are a number of choices:

1) Emacs for PC
              2) Perl or some other scripting language (one of us can send you an appropriate script to run)
              3) Customer program (one of us can write a simple program and compile it to a windows executable and send it to you - this may require installation of a dll too).
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Open file in Word, select all, turn into list, turn list off again... Tadaa! All leading spaces are gone.

Or get a decent program that can do regular expressions.

Edit: major crosspost, and I didn't see there was a quotation mark before it... oh well
                Last edited by Mercator; September 1, 2003, 14:35.
                Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Spike: What you are looking for is just one line of code. I would ship it off to geeslaka, because of what pchang mentions. It shouldn't take him but 5 minutes to do.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

As I said thanks all, but I think I can use MtG's suggestion. If I need something more clever I will ask one of the people who have kindly offered to help out.

Comment

In order of preference:

1. Perl, awk or any similar tools that support regex
                      2. BASIC (nice built-in string handling capabilities)
                      3. Turbo Pascal/Delphi/Klylix (very handy, not quick-and-dirty for this situation, though)
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

If you are interested, you can investigate Cywin for future uses
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                        X