Floppies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floppies?

Aren't they useless? I have only used them three times since 2001.

(1) Boot-up disk creation
    (2) Drivers disk
    (3) Transferring a file from an ancient PC
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Only as a boot disk here.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I use em time and again, like going to the library at uni to print off work and I can't be arsed to email it to myself.

Comment

Floppies are obsolete and being discontinued.

My brand new ThinkPad, for example, came with no floppy. And why would you need one? They're totally useless on modern computers.

For the odd case when a computer doesn't have USB, FireWire, Internet, Ethernet, or a CD-ROM, I suppose you could use a floppy...but that's so rare. And that's why they have USB floppy drives.

Not to mention that floppies are one of the worst storage mediums for stability...I can't count how many floppies I've had become corrupt.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

When you're on a dial-up, floppies can be useful for transferring documents. They're not completely useless yet.

Comment

Why? A dialup and a floppy aren't too different in terms of speed.

A floppy is WAY more likely to go bad than the internet, though.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Yeah, but if the computers are in close proximity and not networked can still be easier

It's also quicker than writing to cdrom.

Comment

CDROMs are plenty fast if it's formatted. Copy and past,ee, use it like a floppy. The difference is it holds 700MB instead of 1.4MB, and writes at 4800KB/s instead of 5KB/s.

Personally, I prefer USB drives. The simply kick ass. You can even boot computers with them now.

I've got a 128MB keychain drive.

Comment

USB drives? Meh. They're not really a "standard" and are hella expensive compared to a CD-RW disc.
                  meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

The truth of the matter is there are lots of old and "obsolete" computers out in the Real World.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Not all of us have pater and mater around to buy computers off NASA, Ashybabes

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon
                        Not all of us have pater and mater around to buy computers off NASA, Ashybabes
                        You can get a 64MB drive for like $40CDN now...which is pennies in real currency.

And, of course UR, the fact of the matter is -- if you're using old computers, you use old technology. How profound of you.

Those of us fortunate enough to not live in the stoneage find them quite obsolete and pity those who must use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          Those of us fortunate enough to not live in the stoneage find them quite obsolete and pity those who must use them.

Possibly the most snobbish comment I've heard this week.

Comment

Hey, I still need a floppy to flash the BIOS, or transfer data fast to school. And not everyone is rich enough to upgrade, they are still used for boot disks and file swappers. Integrity is not needed when moving a file four feet across a room...
                            cIV list: cheats
                            Now watch this drive!

Comment

I flash my BIOS from inside Windows.

Comment

Working...
                              X