RIAA's "Sue 'em all" jihad results in drop in sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIAA's "Sue 'em all" jihad results in drop in sales

The RIAA's "sue 'em all" campaign briefly resulted in a 22% drop in file sharing, but at the same time, CD sales have plummeted by 9.4% and, "Specifically, curtailing file trading may not improve CD sales, but instead may accelerate their decline," US financial analyst Phil Leigh says.

The prepackaged CD format has "seen its best days," he states. "The transformation of recorded music sales from physical distribution to Internet distribution is inevitable."

Leigh, a Raymond James and Associates vp, is quoted in Britain's Macworld. The magazine doesn't say where Leigh's figures come from, and at the time of writing, there was nothing on the RJA site breaking it down.

But, "The initial data is [sic] not encouraging for the labels as it suggests that the fundamental premise underlying their deterrence strategy is flawed," Leigh says.

What to do?

The labels should, "continue their steps in the direction of friendly consumer-use licensing terms for their content to the legitimate Internet music distributors," he says and, adds Macworld, he, "predicts that once the labels enjoy profits from the new medium, then movie studios will be 'right behind them', predicting a second wave of legal distribution services."
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Just more evidence that the RIAA is clueless.
    http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Well, if they make enough money off of lawsuits...

Comment

Not that I disagree with your view on RIAA, but a magazine article's quote of some guy's statement with no real data isn't exactly "evidence."
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

CD sales have been dropping though, so that's not unbelievable.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Yes, but they've been dropping for 10 years. The funny thing is the file sharing services have only been around for like 5 years. Several people have suggested the real reason for declining sales is that the RIAA is putting out much less music then it used to (I.E. fewer songs but each song ships in higher volumes) so individual buyers have fewer chances to find something they like.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Revenge on the goddam evil ****head lying cheating scumdog dowloader slime is more important than sales.
            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

I've never really thought of myself as slime.

Comment

i'm more of a goo myself.
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Those of you who have just willfully confessed to the horrific crime of downloading music have just been reported to the RIAA's Special Investigation and Interrogation unit, for your sins.

Of course, I would never do such a thing

Comment

Heck, I have two hard drives. It will only take me 5 minutes to swap the one with evidience on it to the clean one.

Comment

We need evidence now?

WITCH! WITCH!

Comment

Is a file-swapper heavier than a duck?
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Depends on the duck.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Playing devil's advocate:

The drop in sales is probably due to piracy.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Prove it. Why did the drop in sales begin 5 years before online piracy did?

Comment

Working...
                              X