Teen arrested in Blaster virus case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teen arrested in Blaster virus case

This guy is incredibly stupid. He got a copy of the virus source and altered it to make a version that would register with his web site. Unfortunately, the cops make an example of this amateur while the real professionals get away.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

History is full of idiots who took the blame.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

That virus knocked us out at work. Out networks were totally fubared by this thing. Which tells me that our ntwork people haven't been updating the security patches like they should have been.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

People amaze me sometimes. This guy clearly was at least half way intelligent enough to be able to program a little and create a website, but his common sense has gotta be down in the negatives for doing something so idiotic.

Reminds me of the guy that tried to rob a bank by writing a "give me all your money" note on one of his own cheques and then thinking they wouldn't find him .
        "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

shamless plug

check out http://www.synctomi.com
          Their S2 product would have prevented all worms regardless of what patches were installed.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

"give me all your money"
            Have you seen Woody Allen's 'Take the money and run'?

not quite the same, but almost, and just as funny
            eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

Cleverness

Actually, you do not have to be too smart to alter existing viruses. The source codes are often available for download from hacker sites and the behavior sections have been modularized to the point that someone with scripting experience and knowledge of the english language (most of this code is written and commented in english) can easily alter them.

The real clever ones are those who find the weakness and write the original exploit code. Those people are almost never caught. They do what they want with it, then release it so others will copy it. It is just one of many ways to cover their tracks.

Comment

I think they should just start shooting virus makers and hackers. That should stop em!

Comment

Originally posted by The Andy-Man
                  I think they should just start shooting virus makers and hackers. That should stop em!
                  Or life without P.

Comment

P. ?

Comment

Actually, you do not have to be too smart to alter existing viruses. The source codes are often available for download from hacker sites and the behavior sections have been modularized to the point that someone with scripting experience and knowledge of the english language (most of this code is written and commented in english) can easily alter them.
                      Oh, I totally agree. I wasn't saying he was smart. I'm saying that I equate the level of intelligence necessary to change the code (mediocre with a few resources) to easily the level of common sense someone would need to know not write something that says "here I am catch me" (even the smallest bit of common sense will tell you that).
                      "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

P. ?
                        Death by bladder burst.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

P. ?
                          Parole.

Comment

Mad Monk accused me as the hacker in another thread. I don't even know computer code, genius.

Comment

Re: shamless plug

Originally posted by pchang
                              check out http://www.synctomi.com
                              Their S2 product would have prevented all worms regardless of what patches were installed.
                              You work for these guys?
                              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Working...
                              X