No announcement yet.

Birth of a Nation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If every slave actually got forty acres, bearing in mind how many slaves there were...well, the government would have to give up about three states' worth of land at the very least. I don't think the average southern plantation was much more than forty acres, and each one of those had dozens of slaves working it. Not to mention small household slaves. The land couldn't have been given.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• But keep in mind that there were a few areas where land compensation was implemented -- but in the end, the land was retaken, or possessed by the state governments as new public lands to resell.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand
        How odd it must be for a person in Maryland, since Maryland was officially neutral, and right there.
        Are you kidding? Maryland was made to be neutral by the virtue of federal troops marching on Annapolis. The war riots in Baltimore in 1861 rivaled the draft riots in New York City in 1864. For awhile it was necessary for Federal officials travelling to and from Washington to bypass Baltimore because of the danger. Even the troops bound for their assembly points prior to Bull Run had to detour around Baltimore.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok
          If every slave actually got forty acres, bearing in mind how many slaves there were...well, the government would have to give up about three states' worth of land at the very least. I don't think the average southern plantation was much more than forty acres, and each one of those had dozens of slaves working it. Not to mention small household slaves. The land couldn't have been given.
          40 acres and a mule.

five million freed slaves. Half of whom were men, and not all of who were adults. Let's say two million Black freedmen.

That's 80 million acres. That's doable.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber

My understanding was that the origin was a small group that thought it would be fun to scare some of the superstitious local black folks and "put them in their place". The origins were pretty much a bunch of guys on a lark ( with about as much forethought and deeper meaning as the average modern college prank) as I understand it.

It soon evolved into a " white protection" movement and then into an instrument of violence.
            Actually it was founded as a sort of college "fraternity" in Murfreesboro, Tenneessee. The good ol' boys soon hit on the notion of using their white sheet disguises to scare blacks, and then to intimidate troublemakers, like those who thought that they could leave their old plantations or buy their own land.

Sadly I must admit that some of my ancestors were among the founders.

I'd like to see a remake of "Birth of a Nation", but have the film changed to portray the reality of history.

D. W. Griffith wasn't really a hard-core biggot. After making BoaN his next film was a piece about biggotry called "Intolerance". He was misled by lies passed down from generation to generation, so it would be cool to remake his masterpiece to reflect the truth.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
            X