No announcement yet.

Weird facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homo stultissimus, however, has been around for 300,000 years.
    -30-

Comment

You should not use your fireplace, because scientists now believe that, contrary to popular opinion, fireplaces actually remove heat from houses. Really, that's what scientists believe. In fact many scientists actually use their fireplaces to cool their houses in the summer. If you visit a scientist's house on a sultry August day, you'll find a cheerful fire roaring on the hearth and the scientist sitting nearby, remarking on how cool he is and drinking heavily.
      -- Dave Barry, "Postpetroleum Guzzler"
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by st_swithin
        Homo stultissimus, however, has been around for 300,000 years.
        ....and they, along with their cousins 'Homo Stultior' can still be found today....

Comment

Originally posted by st_swithin
          Ants can lift 10 times their own body mass and carry it more than 1,000 times their own body length.
          Yes, but can they pick up a chair by the bottom of one leg with one hand?
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Why?

Let me paraphrase Desmond Morris, "It is silly for us to attack insects with insecticides instead of teeth."

Um -- I live in the Western world, not the undeveloped part of the world.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
              Um -- I live in the Western world, not the undeveloped part of the world.
              That's just an excuse
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Captain Kirk never said "Beam me up Scotty" on any episode of Star Trek...

he said things like "Beam us up Scotty", "Scotty, beam me up", "Scotty, would you like to beam me?"

butt never those four words in that order that everyone attributes to him...
                Monkey!!!

Comment

And do we count all species of humans, including those that went extinct?
                  By definition if they are a different species then they aren't human. You must mean other homonids in the same genus.

BTW Have you ever seen a human population growth curve? It grows expentially so it makes perfect sense that today's population of around 6-8 billion (I lost track) is way more then the total population of all Humans since the beginning of recorded time.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

By definition if they are a different species then they aren't human. You must mean other homonids in the same genus.

BTW Have you ever seen a human population growth curve? It grows expentially so it makes perfect sense that today's population of around 6-8 billion (I lost track) is way more then the total population of all Humans since the beginning of recorded time.
                    But unless you count all forms of visual expression, and not exclusively written language, then recorded time would exclude even prehistoric Homo Sapiens Sapiens.

Comment

But unless you count all forms of visual expression, and not exclusively written language, then recorded time would exclude even prehistoric Homo Sapiens Sapiens.
                      ah! but does all this include the pro-perpetaticular homo-erogenous pro-sapien hecto perpendicualr sapiens?
                      eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

Originally posted by The Andy-Man

ah! but does all this include the pro-perpetaticular homo-erogenous pro-sapien hecto perpendicualr sapiens?

Zylka gave you some of his "good stuff" didn't he?

Comment

|_ \_|
                          | / <-ant -> |

Everyone in the country is authorised to make a donation to the Leemur Liberation Fund - bofaxx993407666.

I donated $80.00, and it's brought me more luck than you can POSSIBLY imagine.
                          -30-

Comment

. . . . and we don't give a sh*t!

How about that??

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
                              There are more people alive today than have ever died.
                              Wholly untrue.

The amount of people alive today is only around 5% of the total human population across all ages of history.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                                Those calculations are crap. Since homo sapiens have only been around for about 100,000-200,000 years (not a million years).
                                Doesn't really matter. The number of individuals alive until the last 20 000 years or so is an insignificant part of the calculation. Might add a billion or so, but not more...
                                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Killing it is the new killing it
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X