No announcement yet.

I love the 70's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 70's were OK, except the Beatles broke up.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

The Beatles broke up in 1969.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Re: Re: I love the 70's!

Originally posted by Oerdin

Land of the Lost. I'm actually old enough to remember watching reruns of LotL after Saturday morning cartoons. The clay mation was truely pathetic but this was before computer animation and in some ways it was better then the generic comp gen stuff that passes for animation now days.

Of course real hand draw animation had it's hay day during the mid-1980's with the high detail big budget Japanimation movies like Macrose.
        I remember watching it when it first came out.

Old, old, old.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

The you have to be in your early thirties because I'm 27 and I only remember the reruns.

I do remember watching new episodes of The Dukes of Hazard, the A-Team, and I know who shot J.R..

Comment

Hmmm, the 1970s . . .

The Stooges, Lou Reed, David Bowie, Television, the New York Dolls, Blondie, the Ramones, Talking Heads, The Heartbreakers, the Voidiods, Pere Ubu, Parliament/Funkadelic, James Brown, Kool & the Gang, Sly and the Family Stone, Bootsie Colins . . .

Gay liberation, feminism, the peak of the civil rights movement, free love, no AIDS, no drug war, the fall of Nixon, the exposure of the government's crimes, legalized pot in five states (including Nebraska where I lived at the time).

Welcome Back Kotter, Rocky, Star Wars, Happy Days, Cheech and Cong, Starsky and Hutch, Farah Fawcet, Grease, Saturday Night Fever, Coolie High, Robin Williams, Steve Martin,

It wasn't all bad.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I very narrowly missed 1966.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                The Beatles broke up in 1969.
                That's an interesting take. You were alive then?
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I thought it was 1969.

Comment

No, it was early '70. Let It Be was still being worked on.

McCartney came out and said that the Beatles were dead.

It is my second memory of TV or radio as a 'where were you' phenomena. I listened to it on radio.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

The Beatles broke up in April of 1970.

The VH-1 show that Mr Fun saw was the second edition of "I Love the Eighties", subtitled "The decade strikes back" or something.

What a weird decade. People must have been insane back then. EST? I still haven't figured out what that is. TV shows like Issus. And Grizzly Adams . And they had this one tv show where they went back in time and there was dinosaurs and ****.

Old people are just weird. You can't say nothing bad about the stuff in the 80's, that was just cool . But the 70's pop culture just borders on insanity.

Well, what can you expect from a decade sandwiched between the groovy '60s and the yuppiefied 80s? American society was pretty schizophrenic back then.

The 70s were a decade where the baby boomers got out of college and therefore starting to lose the social cohesion that they held in the sixties - some Boomers went out partying and druggin' out at Studio 54 and all the other hot dance joints, some Boomers stayed stoners and brought you the likes of HR Puffinstuff and Cheech and Chong movies, and a good chunk of them pretty much missed the social upheaval of the sixties altogether (which is how you get Barry Manilow and Debbie Boone).

The songs that they play as background music is not necessarily from the year that the episode is about. For example, in 1977 they played The Main Ingredients "Everybody Plays the Fool", which we all know was released in 1972. Don't we? (put old codger smilie here)

Comment

Last edited by SlowwHand; August 26, 2003, 10:00.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The Beatles broke up in 1970.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Dont forget Saturday Night Must-see TV : the Fantasy Island/Love Boat doubleheader.
                            "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                              Hmmm, the 1970s . . .

The Stooges, Lou Reed, David Bowie, Television, the New York Dolls, Blondie, the Ramones, Talking Heads, The Heartbreakers, the Voidiods, Pere Ubu, Parliament/Funkadelic, James Brown, Kool & the Gang, Sly and the Family Stone, Bootsie Colins . . .
                              Hm, I see Che was a punker and a funker. Surprised you didn't mention the best of the punks, dude -- Gang of Four and The Clash. There was Elvis Costello, Patti Smith. The early 70s saw the creative peak of heavy metal, esp. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Blue Oyster Cult. Other faves -- Deep Purple, Wishbone Ash, early Kansas, early Springsteen (esp. the wild, the innocent & the E st shuffle), CSN(&Y), Hendrix, Santana, Zappa at his best, the vital period of Jethro Tull, a German band called Triumvirat who combined the best of Yes and ELP), the emergence of reggae, and on and on. (Plus, I must confess that I was insanely hooked on the Eagles Hotel California album, and the first Boston album.)

BTW, just for the record, the Grateful Dead were the most boring band I've ever seen live. The only way for that music to remain interesting through their typically 3+ hour performances had to be the drugs.

80s music was imho a true cultural nadir. And I deny the existence of the whole 70s disco scene, except to point out that it's what caused all that 80s crap.

Gay liberation, feminism, the peak of the civil rights movement, free love, no AIDS, no drug war, the fall of Nixon, the exposure of the government's crimes, legalized pot in five states (including Nebraska where I lived at the time).
                              Ah, those were the days... The ecology movement and antiwar rallies on campus were political touchstones of the time for me.

Welcome Back Kotter, Rocky, Star Wars, Happy Days, Cheech and Cong, Starsky and Hutch, Farah Fawcet, Grease, Saturday Night Fever, Coolie High, Robin Williams, Steve Martin
                              Hey, Che, you must've been getting tired, cuz some of those TV shows really sucked. But there was some cool mass media in the 70s -- like Saturday Night Live, All In The Family, and the best years of Johnny Carson. 2001 a Space Odyssey blew our minds for about 5 years until that Star War thing happened. I loved A Clockwork Orange, The Candidate, All The President's Men, Blazing Saddles...

I will admit, however, that youth fashions of the 70s were incredibly vile. Well, except denim. Denim will always rule.

this thread =
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

BTW, just for the record, the Grateful Dead were the most boring band I've ever seen live. The only way for that music to remain interesting through their typically 3+ hour performances had to be the drugs
                                I so totally agree with you. Although with Joan Osborne taking Jerry's place, I would see them just for the novelty of her on vocals instead of Jerry's off-tune caterwauling.
                                "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X