No announcement yet.

Hackers operate GNU servers for five months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And I'll spare the comments about people being so dumb they don't understand why most people prefer a mouse and graphical interface to commands like:
    Code:
    tar -xvf dfhs-204.123-42-build321-alpha.tar.gz | more readme.txt
    Last edited by Asher; August 16, 2003, 20:53.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by elijah

rtfm. Perhaps join a lug, ask for help as there probably is a more direct method that you dont know of, at least thats what I found when I was actually making an effort *cough* to learn it. At this stage, Linux does not just work out of the box.
      That's gotta be the most unrealistic expectation of the common consumer that I have ever seen. And it just illustrates the 100 hoops he was talking about.

rtfm is THE worst answer you can give someone on a tech forum, much less someone who is mainstream.

Also what Asher just said.
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Shatter Attacks - How to break Windows.

This paper presents a new generation of attacks against Microsoft Windows, and possibly other message-based windowing systems. The flaws presented in this paper are, at the time of writing, unfixable. The only reliable solution to these attacks requires functionality that is not present in Windows, as well as efforts on the part of every single Windows software vendor. Microsoft has known about these flaws for some time; when I alerted them to this attack, their response was that they do not class it as a flaw - the email can be found here

This research was sparked by comments made by Microsoft VP Jim Allchin who stated, under oath, that there were flaws in Windows so great that they would threaten national security if the Windows source code were to be disclosed. He mentioned Message Queueing, and immediately regretted it. However, given the quantity of research currently taking place around the world after Mr Allchin's comments, it is about time the white hat community saw what is actually possible.
        “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
        Or do we?

Comment

Post of the day:

I just watched SCP crash a production Linux server

An 'scp' of a 400 meg file across a 100mbit ethernet segment corrupted the filesystem. The kernel panicked and the destination machine froze. A complete reboot to single user made and manual fsck was necessary to recover. Utterly pathetic.

Now watch the gears churn as the l33t l1nux h4x0rs begin their excuses. I'll be accused of making it up; but its never necessary to exaggerate or fabricate useless Linux behavior. All you have to do is run it in a production environment. The l33t posters here don't realize the PC toy in their parents basement isn't a production environment.

THe next line will be something like "What an idiot EVERYONE knows you can't use kernel [whatever kernel number was used] with io driver [whatever, yawn] for brand [any brand] drives built at plant [X] between May and June 2003 unless you install Bob's unwarrantied undocumented driver hack and my friend Fred's OpenSSH mod. You see how great disorganized open source is? It makes it seventy times more complicated to do the same thing as planned OS!" Again complete clueless missing of the point. It is exactly this kind of dependancy hell that makes Linux completely unsuitable for real world production use. There will be few posts like this because 99% of the Linux posters here aren't technically competant, they merely parrot Linux slogans and mantras they have picked up somewhere. They are in fact quite as clueless as the Windows users they habitually insult.

For the rest of the world, take careful note: a file copy brought down a Linux 'server'. The lus3rs posting here yammering about how unreliable Windows is do not have an accurate grasp of the reality of the rather pathetic 'cause' they've decided to devote their lives to.
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

blackice, we've already had a thread about that: It's an argument about authenticating windows using Win32. Which as you should know, is deprecated and obsolete.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              And I'll spare the comments about people being so dumb they don't understand why most people prefer a mouse and graphical interface to commands like:
              Code:
              tar -xvf dfhs-204.123-42-build321-alpha.tar.gz | more readme.txt
              Hey, if you want to criticise an interface, you could at least make it clear that you know it ...

Code:
              tar -xzOf dfhs-204.123-42-build321-alpha.tar.gz dfhs-204.123-42-build321-alpha/README|more
              That's the command that would most probably do that you wanted .

00:38 <@Arkonviox> unix is a mess
              00:38 <+Moduvator> lol
              00:38 * Ankou cries
              00:38 <+ari> I packed a couple of directories yesterday by telling my computer to "find -type d|xargs tar -cjvvf Brin-books.tar.bz2"
              00:38 <+Moduvator> Here we go...
              00:38 < vantid> uhhhh
              00:38 <+ari> So that's how bad Unix is
              00:38 <+Ankou> maybe I should just stick with windows
              00:38 < vantid> i cant handle this kind of conversation
              00:38 -!- Arkonviox [~Arkonviox@12-233-157-160.client.attbi.com] has quit [Local kill by Dolphin (This is here you die.)]
              00:38 * vantid laughs
              00:38 -!- Arkonviox [~Arkonviox@12-233-157-160.client.attbi.com] has joined #DarkSeas
              00:38 -!- mode/#darkseas [+o Arkonviox] by ChanServ
              00:38 <+Moduvator> By My Fins...|
              00:38 <+Ankou> They killed Kenny
              00:38 <+Ankou> or whatever
              00:38 < vantid> again
              00:38 <@Arkonviox> i stand by what i say
              00:39 <+ari> Now I'm going to set an alarm bell with "sleep 8h; yes xkbbell|/bin/sh"
              00:39 <+Ankou> ari: I'm scared enough
              This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                Post of the day:
                I have seen Windows servers died on far less.

Sometimes they commit suicide.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  Do you realise that you can move around the Windows desktop quicker with the keyboard than with a mouse?

(\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The other reason I use Linux: Viewports.
                    They are the best thing since sliced bread.
                    No windows box I have ever seen had them.
                    I know of two window managers that have them, Enlightenment and Sawfish.
                    Anyone who is confused by viewports must have serious problems in the spatial manipulation area of their brain.
                    American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                    I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                    Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                    XGalaga.

Comment

Viewports? Do you mean virtual desktops (which, as Asher has said approximately one divided by epsilon times, are included in Power Toys)? Viewports are areas of sight of some larger area and can be moved around. For example, you can set Eterm's background to be in viewport mode - this is cool but not useful. And if you set your X server's resolution higher than your screen's, moving the mouse cursor to the edge of the screen will scroll the area in view. Which is pretty damn frustrating and, I believe, useless for most purposes.

BTW, evilwm has virtual desktops, too. As does kwm (KDE's window manager), IceWM, Metacity... well, I'm not sure about Metacity... but pretty much any X11 window manager, anyway.
                      Last edited by Ari Rahikkala; August 17, 2003, 09:15.
                      This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by geeslaka
                        The other reason I use Linux: Viewports.
                        They are the best thing since sliced bread.
                        No windows box I have ever seen had them.
                        I know of two window managers that have them, Enlightenment and Sawfish.
                        Anyone who is confused by viewports must have serious problems in the spatial manipulation area of their brain.
                        Gee, I wish I could have viewports (which are called "virtual desktops" by most) in Windows.

Oh, wait, I can. With a free MS download, too.

UR: That may be the case for you, but I can click on form fields far faster by clicking on them rather than tabbing through them, unless I'm entering in data sequentially. I use a hybrid keyboard/mouse.

I still fail to see your point, if you have one at all, because Windows allows you to do them both ways...

Comment

Working...
                        X