Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elijah
    I got no love for GNU.. I like Linux because it is superior
    Have you not a clue what this thread is about?

The GNU servers were compromised by a Linux kernel vulnerability.

Who cares if they're GNU -- they're a huge open source organization, and someone else had root access to their file distribution servers for five months due to Linux's "superiority".
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

And please tell me you didn't call GNU a
      small part of a "modular" community

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I reiterate. Meh.
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

And if Linux is superior, do you mind telling the class why you switched back to Windows XP "temporarily".

(they always come back)

Comment

Have you not a clue what this thread is about?
            Have you not got a clue how to talk to people?

The GNU servers were compromised by a Linux kernel vulnerability
            And they were idiots for not updating. As microsoft so eloquently put it, security is a process, one they will most likely follow in future.

The fix was available within a week, they didn't use it (and check their system for invasion as you should do before you put an update on). Thats not the fault of Linux, they were responsible until they put the update up, within a week which isn't bad going. GNU are the people that didn't use it, thus they are idiots. Its a fallacy and something of a strawman to use GNU's **** up against Linux.
            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
            "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Have you not got a clue how to talk to people?
              Yes, I do -- straightforward, to the point, and what's on my mind. If I think someone's a moron, I'll tell them and be upfront about it rather be "polite" about it to their face while secretly thinking they're a moron to yourself.

The only time this does not apply is when I'm talking to someone of importance: a professor, boss, etc. At that point I switch to manipulative mode.

And they were idiots for not updating. As microsoft so eloquently put it, security is a process, one they will most likely follow in future.
              Hello -- read the post.
              It was compromised a week before a fix was available.
              Last edited by Asher; August 16, 2003, 04:13.

Comment

Oh, and by the way: It's not like the Linux community went easy on FSF.
                "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

And please tell me you didn't call GNU a small part of a "modular" community
                  In terms of what it produces in the context of OSS software, then yes it is. Admittedly, its a bigger contributor than any other, but most of the user-level software I used was not GNU.

And if Linux is superior, do you mind telling the class why you switched back to Windows XP "temporarily".
                  Because Slackware was p!ssing me off, and it seems idiotic to buy Mandrake 9.1 when 9.2 is due out so soon. The problem with systems like Slackware is that because they leave so much power of their system in the hands of the user, your tempted to play with it, to the extent that you get very little actual work done... which sucks because I have a novel to finish before september.

Nonetheless, on Windows, I'm using openoffice.org and mozilla (for some reason OOo runs faster on windows than it did on Linux, however, windows is closer to the centre of the disk as it is on the first partition (and yet linux as a system still ran faster ).

Don't get me wrong, windows has a superior interface, a superior ease of use, and a superior selection of desktop/SOHO software. This makes it king of the desktop, and while things are improving for Linux, particularly on other aspects of the desktop, until parity is achieved with windows in these respects, MS will still rule desktops.

Dont worry, I wont be back for long, this is more like staying for a cup of tea and a biscuit.

Asher: IIRC, you are running mandrake 9.0, I strongly suggest you reinstall 9.2 when it comes out. 9.0 was probably the worst distro ever, its hardly fair to call that representative .
                  "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

In terms of what it produces in the context of OSS software, then yes it is.
                    Technically, it produces just about every OSS there is. How popular is GCC on Linux.

Asher: IIRC, you are running mandrake 9.0, I strongly suggest you reinstall 9.2 when it comes out. 9.0 was probably the worst distro ever, its hardly fair to call that representative .
                    I'm not running Mandrake 9, I'm running Debian Unstable.

Comment

Yes, I do -- straightforward, to the point, and what's on my mind. If I think someone's a moron, I'll tell them and be upfront about it rather be "polite" about it to their face while secretly thinking they're a moron to yourself
                      Glad you honour me by not being manipulative

Hello -- read the post.
                      It was compromised a week before a fix was available.
                      Read mine... I said they should have checked their system for invasions before making the update. It must have only been there for 5 months because they were sloppy, its no fault of the software after that one week!

Comment

Read mine... I said they should have checked their system for invasions before making the update. It must have only been there for 5 months because they were sloppy, its no fault of the software after that one week!
                        If they checked their systems for invasions after every security patch on Linux, they'd have no time to do anything else.

And you said they were idiots for not updating -- which to me implies they got compromised because they didn't update.

Comment

Technically, it produces just about every OSS there is. How popular is GCC on Linux
                          Ok ok, you have a point... every binary is produced by GCC . You know what I mean though, GNU does not own linux or much of the desktop stuff (ignoring Gnome here, but then, everyone does).

I'm not running Mandrake 9, I'm running Debian Unstable
                          That is NOT clever, if you want security/stability!!

Comment

If they checked their systems for invasions after every security patch on Linux, they'd have no time to do anything else
                            I seem to remember being ok with that... 5 mins before each update?

Comment

That is NOT clever, if you want security/stability!!
                              Debian Unstable just means it uses the same technologies as most other modern distros.

Debian Stable still runs stuff like KDE 2.x, IIRC.

Debian Unstable is very stable, and very secure as far as Linux distros go. Which isn't saying much.

Certainly more secure and stable than Mandrake is.

Comment

For what it's worth I'm trying Gentoo on my new ThinkPad in a few days.

Comment

Working...
                                X