Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emancipation

Specifically, from one's parents.

Does anybody know how this works? My fiancee is having trouble getting financial aid because her parents refuse to help by either cosigning a loan or filling out a FAFSA (federal aid form in the US, for those elsewhere, required for all aid at most places). Apparently, you have to be 24(!) before you can be considered anything other than a dependent, or married, or emancipated somehow...

Many thanks to anybody who can help at all, the bill is due very soon and we just found out today that her parents aren't helping...
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

i had the exact same problem... it's hopeless sorry. best you can do is have the college consider her independent and maybe they'll give her a little more scholarship money.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

wait fiancee? if you two are married, she'll be emancipated... want to move up the wedding?
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

It'd be nice, but we don't have the money to do that, either....
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

50$ bux and elvis thinks otherwise

Comment

Don't have the money? Elope! I mean, big weddings are about as much fun as a prostate check anyway; they wear out the bride and groom, they always cost more than you plan on, and I personally have never had a single ounce of fun at a wedding or reception that didn't involve laughing at the shenanigans of drunk guests trying to dance. Or just file for a civil marriage and go through the bloody ceremony later.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

The King is dead...

Comment

It's more the long-term costs (insurance, expenses, etc.) that are the problem, not the ceremony.

Although we'd both like a ceremony, too, we could live without it.

Comment

How would the long term costs be more married than single? You can get married by a justice of the peace for fifty dollars in some places. You'll probably never get the money for a big wedding if you wait and from the sound of it your fiance's parents aren't going to be helping. Same thing happened to my wife and I but in reverse; we couldn't get married until after she received her final pell grant because with my income we made about $12000 which would have kept her from receiving a majority of her money.

Comment

That's sort of a chicken**** angle on financial aid, since one's you're 18 you're an adult for all purposes but buying hooch and handguns.

Emancipation of minors is a state law issue, and only applies if you're under 18, and other states and financial aid, etc., may not give a ****. The intent was/is to prevent well off parents from scamming the system when they otherwise could/would pay to put their little darlings through college.
                    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Thus the problem...they could, they just won't.

Comment

What fantastic people! Sounds like my wife's family:

"Since you're getting married, we pooled one hundred dollars for the wedding. Are you going to rent a suite of rooms for us if we come down? No? Well, then we're not coming! Good luck!"

Sleazebags. They'd rather eat a bullet than help their kids out. We've had to bail her brother and sister out of several jams. When her sister began to become mentally ill and we couldn't take care of her like the situation warranted, their mother told us that maybe we should try to find a home for her because they didn't have the time or money to help.

Comment

Oh, I won't go into the many issues I have with them, but....yeah.

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

boot to the head!
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X