AmericaniSed spelling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dom Pedro II
    Hey, if you want to harass anybody about messing up the language... you MIGHT want to start with the Jamaicans....
    Yah Mon!

Comment

Actually, Jamaicans have improved on the language. Americans -- Webster first and foremost -- have perverted, corrupted, and bastardized it.
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Actually, Jamaicans have improved on the language. Americans -- Webster first and foremost -- have perverted, corrupted, and bastardized it.
        Contradicted yourself there.

Comment

/me admits imperfections of self

I've given up fighting against Microsoft on the s-issue a couple months ago.

However, I am still very gung-ho about the u-issue and the re-issue.

I guess I can return to the true path in that too.

Accept me back into the flock, Cthulhu, for I have sinned. Eat the sinners before you eat the repented sinners.

Americans -- Webster first and foremost -- corrupted, perverted, and bastardised English.
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Re: AmericaniSed spelling

Originally posted by elijah
            Sorry but we gave you the language, we tell you how to spell it!!!

Color is wrong. It is COLOUR.

Recognize et al is wrong. Recognise is correct.

Mom is wrong. ITS MUM DAMMIT!

Freedom is wrong. The proper term is FRENCH (accept it).
            Someone should take over America and rename it Umuricu just so they have to use the letter u more.
            Unfairly Banned at Civfanatics twice...
            To protest the war I am using the UN Flag - Howard has said most Australians are for the war so clearly I am not an Aussie.

Comment

IT'S SOCCER DAMMIT

Comment

Don't get me angry Ixy..., you wouldn't like me when I'm angry....
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                  Don't get me angry Ixy..., you wouldn't like me when I'm angry....
                  Ha -- I bet you wouldn't be able to even swat a fly if it was annoying you.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

But if you're not a fly, you'd better watch out.
                    American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                    I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                    Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                    XGalaga.

Comment

All that's required is consistency of usage.

American English is frequently older English usage, or English dialectical usage, peculiar to the area the immigrant originally came from (broil, chowder, clew).

British speakers of English will of course recall that words such as clamour, glamour, honour, labour and vigour drop the 'u' when inflected.

And words ending in -or already outnumber those ending in -our in British English- doctor, vendor, liquor, and so on.

Interestingly enough, 'ax' started out as the recognised British spelling, back in 1882, in the O.E.D. Nowadays, 'axe' is the accepted British spelling, and 'ax' is seen as the Americanism (or Ebonics for to enquire).

What we should object to are prissy American euphemisms- ass for arse, and rock for stone. Pebble is a stone is a pebble- it ain't a rock, or a boulder....
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                      X