No announcement yet.

MSBlast.exe (virus)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodonya Asher, thanks to you my machine was patched a month ago.
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Did you copy that from somewhere? Good one though
      Nope, I was just in a sarcastic mood, as happens frequently. I figured this thread could use some levity...anyway, thanks.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Great rant at the Inquirer

That is an important semantic game that MS is playing now, if things are not default activated, even if they are remote root compromises, they are not critical. At best, you can call this splitting hairs. I just put in my first Windows 2003 server Tuesday morning, having set it up over the weekend. The first thing it does is present you with a wizard to turn these things back on, the server is utterly useless without them. How useless? Well, there is no file sharing, printer sharing, web servers, directory, or anything else by on by default. It is a really expensive XP console with "Professional" replaced by Server on the start menu.

So, the first thing you do is activate the services you need, so the box can, oh, I don't know, do anything. Hours later, you are 0wn3d by a worm, and life gets fun, and cleanup is a *****. Remember, because you were dumb enough to turn on something as obviously dangerous a file sharing on a server, it is your problem, not MS's. Why should they rate things like that critical, it is purely optional.
        This is great.

The whole thing here.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The problem with any popular OS is that it will be used by idiots who think that the monitor is the entire computer and the large metal thing next to their feet is something to kick when they get bored.
          American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
          I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
          Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
          XGalaga.

Comment

Originally posted by geeslaka
            The problem with any popular OS is that it will be used by idiots who think that the monitor is the entire computer and the large metal thing next to their feet is something to kick when they get bored.
            I have to disagree with you. Normally, an idiot drives a car but the manufacturere has a responsibility for the product (car). Nobody gives you a car which has a serious security problem and then you go to... the trees. And then say "it's alright, i am an idiot"!
            Microsoft has great problems with this HIJACK attack (not virus). Two days I was trying to solve the problem, I had 5 times make format to my HD, I have make 5 NEW installs with OS (EWindows 2000) but the problem remained. Because this 'hijack' was hiding into DOS install information!
            So the solution wasn't the new 'updates' from McAfee, Symantec and Sophos: these things DOESN'T work! You have to download the NEW Service Pack 4 from Microsoft (don't try tosearch it on WindowsUpdate, go direct to the first page of Microsoft.com).

Comment

Government officials said quickly ruled out the "Blaster" computer worm as a cause. The worm was spreading from computer to computer Wednesday and was initially considered a potential cause.

The outage did slow the Internet, however, because Web sites powered from servers in affected cities were unable to respond to requests to view the pages. Also, experts said, the Internet may be trying to reroute itself to cover for unresponsive servers.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/08/14/pow...age/index.html

Comment

the Internet may be trying to reroute itself
                Moronic news services!
                Sorry folks, the Internet has no power to reroute itself. However, it may be rerouted by people changing the computers.
                American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                XGalaga.

Comment

M$
                  Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

LOL: The domain name msblast.com is up for sale on eBay. Current bid is $1.04

Asmodean
                    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Hot damn. It's up to $10.50

Asmodean
                      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Working...
                      X