No announcement yet.

MSBlast.exe (virus)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, it was an open source OS...think on it.

Hint: It wasn't a GNU-licensed OS.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Honestly, the worm wasn't a big deal, but I am sorta glad for msblast: it made MS get off their butts and come up with a fix before some SERIOUSLY malicious software abused this security hole.

I think that was the point of it anyway.

Comment

Um. The fix for the hole MSBlast exploits was out almost a month before MSblast...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Was it really? oh well, must have missed it. Was a pretty stupid worm, and it didn't even work like it was supposed to on my system.

Comment

I told people to patch immediately as a worm was inevitable, last month: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=93099

Comment

Ahh! See, I was getting ready to move, and I didn't have internet in the new place till recently. Just wasn't paying attention.

Comment

That Asher... always looking after our asses.

...uhhhh...

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  No, it was an open source OS...think on it.

Hint: It wasn't a GNU-licensed OS.
                  Must have been a BSD then. On Linux I've heard them called SunRPC, that's why I thought they came from Solaris. I don't use RPCs at all, they are a security risk on either OS. By the way, my router gets bombed with 135 requests. Just drops them of course.

A friend of my wife caught the worm already. She was shocked and helpless when she called me. Made me think... 3 months ago I set her up that computer. It came shipped with XP Home, but I seriously considered to install a Debian+Gnome on it, since she is a bloody newbie. I should have done so, even more since she lives 700 km away, and these service calls every 2 weeks drive me nuts.

Comment

Actually it's very poor code and design.

It's just such an easy exploit.
                    Thanks to MS, of course.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I told people to patch immediately as a worm was inevitable, last month: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=93099
                      I probably should have done something about it last month rather than yesterday.
                      Hold my girlfriend while I kiss your skis.

Comment

I cant be sure its MSBlast but a worm has brought down bagfulls of PC's at my work. They just try to boot up and get into some kinda loop.
                        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I blame MicroSoft, it's their fault, their ****ty software, that is causing all this pain in my ass
                          Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

ILOVEYOU was excellent code .

They don't cause any harm, people. OK, this one restarts your data. But it's very easy to make it erase all data on harddrive after 3 days. I think, if ILOVEYOU did that, how bad would it have been?
                            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius
                              I blame MicroSoft, it's their fault, their ****ty software, that is causing all this pain in my ass
                              So, if somebody pours sugar in your gas tank, that is the fault of the manufacturer?

Comment

It's just as easy to close the port. Why MS doesn't do this by default...
                                But this virus attacks through port 135 instead of 137, 138, or 139, which I don't think can be closed on a Microsoft machine.

Comment

Working...
                                X