No announcement yet.

Where were you in life, five years ago?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm.. I don't remember where I was. But I sure wasn't here quite yet.

Comment

orange on the verge of 15:

- Going into my Sophomore Year of High School
      - Interested in becoming a Journalist
      - Centre right in my political views
      - Religious
      - Virgin
      "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
      You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
        Are there not any other Apolytoners who remember where they were five years ago in life?
        five years ago, i was 14, in 8th grade. this was when major life choices were made, when some of my friends started to do drugs and start down the path of failure. i essentially dropped the group of friends i hung out with and focused on newer friends.

i was in the advanced classes, before the advaced class group had finally clicked into acknowledgement of their gifts, ie, when geeks were geeks, and advanced kids were geeks nonetheless.

my father hit me back then, mostly for messing up on tests occasionally, but sometimes just because he was mad at his job, at my mom, and as he so eloquetly put it, "shit flows downhill."

this was the time in my life that i reached out to god, if you happened to read my self reflective essay thread a short while ago, and it took more than a year and a half before it ended. this was a major turning point in my life. i finally hit back when i was about 16. but i digress.

anyway, my father was alive then. i don't know which i would have preferred then... never mind, i do.

i ended up making friends with 3 kids in my neighborhood, and one a little distance away. when you are 14, across a major road is far away, even if it's only 3 blocks. most of the large scale hanging out (ie, all the kids in the neighbord playing manhunt) began to fade away. people were growing up, and forming cliques. suddenly the kid that rocked at kickball was too cool to play with us, suddenly the kid who loved to climb trees was sneaking booze from his parent's fridge, suddenly all my friends were something else.

i mowed lawns for 3 families on the block, and my own, to make a little money, which i saved because there's nothing to do in this goddamned town, especially when you have no car. the only things i remember actively spending money on were hotdogs from the hotdog stand, lunches at the local deli, and various games, such as Magic: The Gathering, etc.

I was playing civ, even then. i only had one friend who was into it, and another who could "bear" it. i believe i had a "gateway 2000" (seems dated, no?) @ 90 mhz, and i had an old IBM PS/2. the commodore was in the attic (still is).

back to the friends issue, one really sticks out in my memory: anthony (tony). i don't know why he sticks out, but he does. in the beginning, me and my new friends were just "using him" for his pool, hanging out with him just to guarantee a cool place on warm days. eventually we stopped being a55holes and began to like him.

i think this was actually 4 years ago, but my memory is hazy so i'll just say it was 5, i saw my first pair of boobs (she was 16) and kissed my first girl. this kiss was an act of truth or dare (you saw that comming, yes?) and the boobs were a strategy masterminded by yours truly. actually, i was just being an a55hole to this girl that hung out with us, calling her flat at every oppurtunity. you know, standard boy crushing behavior for the younger ones. anyway, one day she just got tired of yelling at me and whipped them out, right in front of me and tony. from that day forth i kept mocking her, saying she didn't have pubes.

the strategy only works once, i suppose.

overall: five years ago was a lump of dog shit, with some diamonds in there.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Hmmm. I was 18, in my final year of highschool and going insane. I was one of the oldest people in my grade because I started school a year later than I could have, and I was so ready to be out of the strict school environment. My grades, while still fairly high, dropped in that year from me being either first or second in most subjects to me just doing fairly well.

I had friends (which I have since pretty much lost contact with), lived at home, didn't have a job at that time. I knew I wanted to be a programmer.

Lots of things have changed since then.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Hmmmm. 1998, eh?

Just moved from Atlanta to Knoxville, after clearing a tidy $17k profit from the house that we owned all of 9 months. No Sophie yet, but we had the same dogs. I was working for my parents company, which, as y'all know, has turned into one big old fuking disaster over the past couple of years.

Played a lot more computer games back then, and spent more time on the net.

Comment

exactly 5 years ago I was on 30 some odd days of leave after I decommissioned my ship the USS Guam. I was right here in Las Vegas.

But I didn't know Apolyton existed until spring of 1999. That is when I begam posting with my original login.

Comment

Originally posted by Uber KruX

i ended up making friends with 3 kids in my neighborhood, and one a little distance away. when you are 14, across a major road is far away, even if it's only 3 blocks. most of the large scale hanging out (ie, all the kids in the neighbord playing manhunt) began to fade away. people were growing up, and forming cliques. suddenly the kid that rocked at kickball was too cool to play with us, suddenly the kid who loved to climb trees was sneaking booze from his parent's fridge, suddenly all my friends were something else.
                Yeah, I remember that feeling when I was beginning high school . . . .

Zkribbler, sounds like you're on your way up in the world of unionism.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT

Played a lot more computer games back then, and spent more time on the net.
                  Bet you were thrilled about Apolyton when you discovered it.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

Your mom's a whore? Her name isn't Gretchen is it?
                    No. Damn; the hunt continues. If only she'd remember to collect!

Comment

5 years ago I had just finished highschool and was about to start university.

Since then the few RL friends I had have disappeared, my parents have divorced, I now live with my mum and my younger sister, and for the past 1 to 2 years I've been struggling (well, not really, "running away from" is more like it) with my graduation thesis. I'm still shy, lazy and insecure, and I still don't have a job nor any money.

On the positive side, I'm more confident, I've gone to see a load of movies in the theatre (most on my own), I went to summer music festivals last two years (alone, again), and I'll probably go again this year.
                      My older sister settled in Sweden, got married last May, and is pregnant with her first kid (I just heard this monday, due next April).
                      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

quote:
                        Originally posted by Alex
                        now I'm on the verge of a divorce (but my wife doesn't know about that yet).

I was happier back then.

Holy ****, dude. I'm sorry to hear that. I hope happier times are ahead for you.

Yep. The funniest thing (or the saddest one, depending on your point of view) is that our marriage was doomed to fail since the very beginning. I got involved with another woman before we married, and my wife found out about it, and I came to the city where I'm living now but she didn't want to come here.

Then I begged (yep...) her to come and join me and said that we could make our relationship work out well, because we still loved each other. Guess what? I was wrong.

But happier times are ahead for me, definitely. I think that when I finally get divorced I will be happier, I won't have to carry on the load of a failed relationship with me. And she will be happier too, she'll be able to find someone who is more akin to her than I was, someone who will truly care for her, the way she deserves to be cared for.

I'll be fine.
                        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Alex quite a shame. hope things will get better for you.

5 years ago, I was in Junior high. I was extremely popular throughout the junior grades of school (1-6), but when I passed to junior high, I had to go to a new school. No friends, no Nothing. It created a lag in my social life which I have only closed a year or two ago. The age of 13 was rock bottom for me.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                          X