Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One of the most important political issues of mine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the most important political issues of mine...

"Do the city realize, when your bid is 3 to 5, it's hard to find a 9 to 5?"

i've been posting about this on apolyton a couple times over the years but it seems that for some odd reason, no one ever seems to care and even stranger, no politician as far as i know has ever talked about these issues... why is it that ex-convicts are forced to suffer even though they are reformed?

i most definently personally know far more ex-convicts that anyone else in this thread and it's very frustraing to see them having such a hard time just because they made some mistakes in their youth. most found allah or jesus in prison and are now very moral and hard-working people but job oppurtunities are rare for anyone with a criminal record.

take for example one man i know who is in his thirties now... in his youth, he got into all sorts of crime and ended up being shot numerous times (seven or eight if i recall correctly). he was arrested and was up-state for most of his twenties. now, he's a reformed man who is taking pharmaceutical science courses but is having a tough time with his minimum wage grill cook pay-check. fortunately (i guess fortunately), he don't got no kids or nothing to support so he is managing but most ex-convicts DO got children to support... they now realize it is important to pay the child support and be involved in their sons and daughters' lives so they won't make the same mistakes they did... and yet, doing all that, as well as feeding yourself, AND trying to get a community college/trade school education (which may not amount to much with that criminal record still showing up on their job applications and background checks), all on a minimum wage paycheck... and i can't help but feel sorry for my brothers who strayed years ago but are now on the right path... i hope they are all strong enough to stay true no matter the difficulties but it's easy to see how crime is a cycle with such problems.

so what can be done to help them? it seems so simple to me... businesses should be given significant tax breaks for hiring reformed criminals to get more businesses (which actually pay a good wage) hiring these good men... community college/vocational training should be given to economic felons (ie- arrested weed smokers NOT included)...

if i ever run for office in the future, this will be one of the main points of my agenda... why is it that i know of no present politician with these issues on his own agenda? just cause ex-cons can't vote?

thanks
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Why should you be forced to trust a man who has been convicted of breaking society's trust?

You may insist he's reformed, but frankly why should anyone take that risk?

If the guy/girl wasn't stupid to begin with, there wouldn't be a problem.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

So let's just make the system such that they get right back into crime because that's the life that you are destined to have because you made a mistake in your teenage years?
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Not my problem.

Who is to say the person who was a dumbass as a teen isn't a dumbass as a 40 year old unemployed bum?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

what you mean "Not my problem"???

giving businesses who hire ex-convicts tax breaks effects you how?

Comment

You'll have to pardon Asher -- he got on this rant about stupid people with the computer problem thread.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I think it could be made so that non violent crimes can have their records sealed from an employer.

Comment

I agree with AS!!! PARTY!!!

Comment

Yavoon:

that would do nothing for most of the ex-convicts i know who were arrested for such things as assault, burglarly, and gun possession... the other common crime, drug dealing... would that be considered violent?

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                    what you mean "Not my problem"???

giving businesses who hire ex-convicts tax breaks effects you how?
                    Less tax money for my public healthcare.

Why don't we give businesses tax breaks for hiring white boys too? How does that "effect" you?

Comment

Re: One of the most important political issues of mine...

he don't got no kids or nothing to support
                      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Comrade:

what is so shocking about that? he was in jail for just about all his twenties... never had the oppurtunity to have children...

Comment

Comrade:

what is so shocking about that?
                          Not a thing.
                          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Yavoon:

that would do nothing for most of the ex-convicts i know who were arrested for such things as assault, burglarly, and gun possession... the other common crime, drug dealing... would that be considered violent?
                            drug dealing is non violent. burglary is also probably non violent. armed robbery is violent. I don't really have a whole lot of sympathy for someone who sticks a gun in another persons face and threatans his life.

Comment

still... what you suggested only helps out a small percentage of the people i'm talking about...

Comment

Working...
                              X