Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you support an Single European State?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you support an Single European State?

I'm trying to avoid loaded terms such as ‘superstate’ (I’ve always wondered why people against the EU refer to a ‘European Superstate’ rather than an ‘EU State’ or a ‘single European state – Why does it have to be ‘super’? If anyone’s got any ideas, perhaps they could post them)

Anyway, this is a thread about whether you are for or against the idea of a European Single State (SES) in principle. This means that if you think that you could support calls for a SES so long as the EU became more democratic/decentralised/whatever then you should vote yes in the poll.

I’ve divided the poll into varies areas of the world so as to be able to ascertain whether certain sections are more pro or anti than others. Sorry about the vagueness – I just thought that the first three might hold distinct views.
    Yes (I'm British)
    4.92%
    No (I'm British)
    8.20%
    Yes (I'm from continental Europe)
    21.31%
    No (I'm from continental Europe)
    8.20%
    Yes (I'm American)
    22.95%
    No (I'm American)
    16.39%
    Yes (I'm none of the above)
    4.92%
    No (I'm none of the above)
    8.20%
    Banana republics should unite a form a world-wide banana monopoly
    4.92%

Yes, but:

1. With enough independency for states of that nation. Not another USSR. Maybe like American states, or even more.
    2. Emphasis on preserving language and culture of states.
    3. Not now. In 30-40 years maybe, not now.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Yes, and like Solver I´d like to have the States within the EU preserve alot of their Independence, of course their Cultural Identity and their Language.
      But I hope to see it within the next 20 years, or at least steps taken into this direction.

I think there should be one Foreign Policy in this unified Europa and one Army. Within the Justice and Laws I could imagine some kind of Semi Independence, where the Laws of every single Country should meet certain Prerequisites, but every country also has things, where it alone decides what to do. For example, the EU declares that no Memberstate should have no Death Penalty, but that every Memberstate could decide if Marijuana islegal or illegal (although I think this is just Utopia, as the Drug Policy in every Memberstate should be the same, as a Unified Europe would also mean free trade within its Bprders and therefore it could be very unproductive to have a Drug in one Memberstate legalized whereas it is illegal in another Memberstate).
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

More or less the same feeling as the above posters.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

No, not if it is compulsory for all EU members, so I'll choose "No (I'm British)"

If they do merge, I say they adopt a "Home Rule"-esque style of continent. I.E.:

They all have their own government
          They send MEPs to Brussels
          They have control of Domestic Affairs et al
          Brussels controls defence and taxation.

Language et al would differ, but English (as it is the most widely spoken European language) would be compulsory for students in some sense.

Comment

no. to quote my boss, a Vet, "The European Union will never get their act together. Put Germany and France together in a room and there will be some dead Frogs. And the Italians! Oh lord the Italians!"
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Had to go with the banana option, since it doesn't matter to me one bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST

For example, the EU declares that no Memberstate should have no Death Penalty, but that every Memberstate could decide if Marijuana islegal or illegal (although I think this is just Utopia, as the Drug Policy in every Memberstate should be the same, as a Unified Europe would also mean free trade within its Bprders and therefore it could be very unproductive to have a Drug in one Memberstate legalized whereas it is illegal in another Memberstate).
                Even US states have far more independence than your imagined "Semi-independent" states of Europe.

Comment

Undecided. Time will tell. It has to have many things happening before I say it's good thing. Time will tell.
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Yes, American.

Comment

Though this thing can't be rushed in. If it is rushed, I strongly object it. In time, with the terms that pleases me (meaning Finland gets good opportunities and not only has to give away them, so that drug addict from Portugal can come and enjoy free healthcare) I'm all for it. But not yet.
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I don't really see the need for the European qualifier. If Sudan or Israel or Iran qualify, let them in.
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

No, because it will be unsustainable and will collapse. The ethnic and cultural differences are too great for a single nation to emerge. At best, the EU will function mostly as a trade and military alliance. But I don't think the nations of Europe will surrender their sovereignty to one central government.

I support a Europe that works together for economic development and the spread of Democracy, but not a single nation.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Yes. I think Europe would make a fine state. But how would we work the 51th star into the flag?
                            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                              No, because it will be unsustainable and will collapse. The ethnic and cultural differences are too great for a single nation to emerge. At best, the EU will function mostly as a trade and military alliance. But I don't think the nations of Europe will surrender their sovereignty to one central government.

I support a Europe that works together for economic development and the spread of Democracy, but not a single nation.
                              You know Sava, I read this reply and thought "that is exactly how I feel". Then I looked at who posted it. Once again I find us in agreement. Am I becoming more liberal or are you becoming more conservative?
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
                              X