Your Favorite President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Favorite President

Okay, guys, I'd like to know who your favorite Presidents were. Give an overall favorite, and then one for each era: 1790 - 1877; 1878 - 1945; 1946 - 2003.

1790 - 1877...probably George Washington. The guy seems pretty good, and Abe Lincoln, while being second best for the time, also suspended habeas corpus.

1878 - 1945...Teddy Roosevelt. Definitely. I don't care what anyone else did. TR was a visionary.

1946 - 2003...Here's where it gets tough. I'd say a tie between Kennedy and Clinton. Both of them were very smart people, and both of them had very charismatic personalities. (And, sorry, yes, both of them were probably sexual deviants. So what?)

Best overall? Either TR or Kennedy. Both of them were fresh blood. Both of them were, more (TR) or less (Kennedy) visionaries, and both of them were people I'd like being around.

(Points to JFK for diverting nuclear war with the Russians. )
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Over all favorite is the big Double C... Calvin Coolidge.

1. Martin Van Buren
    2. Calvin Coolidge
    3. Barry Goldwater
    Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

1790 - 1877
      Thomas Jefferson

1878 - 1945
      Teddy Roosevelt

1946 - 2003
      Lyndon Baines Johnson
      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
      Drake Tungsten
      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
      Albert Speer

Comment

Re: Your Favorite President

Originally posted by mrmitchell
        Okay, guys, I'd like to know who your favorite Presidents were. Give an overall favorite, and then one for each era: 1790 - 1877; 1878 - 1945; 1946 - 2003.
        1790 - 1877: Abraham Lincoln (saved the United States from unconstitutional secession)

1878 - 1945: Franklin D. Roosevelt (implemented various social relief programs and got United States involved in one of the very few morally justifiable wars we fought in)

1946 - 2003: Lyndon B. Johnson (became an advocate for civil rights during his presidency)

overall: Abe
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Re: Your Favorite President

1790 - 1877 - Abe Lincoln

1878 - 1945 - FDR

1946 - 2003 - Reagan

Best overall - FDR

Comment

1. George Washington
            2. Teddy Roosevelt
            3. Ronald Reagan

George Washington, duh.
            Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

R...e..a..g..a..n...????????

-
              (And, sorry, yes, both of them were probably sexual deviants. So what?)

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

1790 - 1877 = Thomas Jefferson (War on Barbary Pirates, Expansion of the US, and general good times)

1878 - 1945 = Teddy Roosevelt (Began the naval buildup that would make the US a world power)

1946 - 2003 = Ronald Reagan (Resulted in a sea change, where Americans believed in smaller government... and he fought tooth and nail against Communism)

Overall = Jefferson
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Lincoln, Roosevelt (guess which one ), and Kennedy

Comment

How exactly does one push for a smaller government while dramatically increasing the military?

I would never pick Ronald Reagan particularly since I hate those damned bumper stickers "God Bless Ronald Reagan". I mean, get a life! I'd say the same about a... well, do they have to be alive? I'd say the same thing about a Kennedy one and I'd sure as hell say one about an FDR one.

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

Wow, Imran and I have similar taste in presidents, up till the modern era!
                      Drake Tungsten
                      Albert Speer

Comment

Imran, didn't that naval buildup also lead to Japan attacking the U.S. in pearl harbour?

Comment

How exactly does one push for a smaller government while dramatically increasing the military?

Well you push for a less nanny state. The increase in the military was to end to specter of Communism.

God Bless Reagan!

Imran, didn't that naval buildup also lead to Japan attacking the U.S. in pearl harbour?

Hehehe
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Japan's desire for a large Pacific island empire led to their attack on pearl harbour...
                            Drake Tungsten
                            Albert Speer

Comment

The specter of Communism was exactly that... a specter... ironically enough, for all of conservatives' insistance that Communism doesn't work (and it doesn't) they can't ever seem to accept the idea that Communist was what killed Communism.

And it seems to me more like creating our kind of big government instead of their kind... both of which are thoroughly unAmerican. Anybody who lauds a strong military and still calls himself a patriot obviously skipped over a few chapters in American history.

Though I will say that if that naval build up provoked the Japanese to attack us, all the better... we had to get in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X