No announcement yet.

Damn whiny Brits!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll take my chances on the motorways thanks, but heaven forbid we get a couple of centimetres of snow and then we will get 18 hour traffic jams...what is going on in this country?
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I remember about 3 years ago, during the summer, when I was commuting from Sacramento ro SF I got stuck in a traffic jam in Fairfield because the freeway had melted!!! (113F) Funny, though, it had reached that temp before but the freeway never melted. What they had determined was that traffic had increased over the years in that corridor and the amount of friction caused by the wheels of all the cars had managed to raise the temp even more.

As for the rail system, it may not be just the overhaul that is needed, but a better maintenance system... just a thought.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Our rail system needs a lot of work and investment putting into it. Better maintenance is definitely a must, the current system is just institutionally incompetent and nonfunctional...corners get cut and shoddy jobs get done with very little responsibility attributed to anyone...
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Point 2 - We like to talk about the weather in Britain. It usually changes every few days and we have nothing more interesting to complain about.
          that's funny. From my visits to the Britain, it was always the same.

Drab in the morning
          Sunshine for about 15 minutes at noon
          Drab in the early afternoon
          Rain in late afternoon
          Drab in the evening
          Cold at night
          "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

not all americans need A/C

I was just in San Diego. Beautiful weather. And the air is so much cleaner than in LA. Now I can see why property values are so high. Everyone wants to live there. But I can't see needing A/C in San Diego.

Also in many part of the U.S. such as the Northeast, the Northwest, Alaska, Hawaii, and the northern plains states they really don't need A/C

but I admit I'm a pansy who needs it. I tried going without it. But you try falling asleep in a pool of your own sweat when your house is over 100 degrees F (37.8 C). And it doesn't cool off at night where I live. The biggest reason is I live in a large city now. The sun bakes down and cooks the concrete and asphalt all day long. And all that heat is radiated back up at night. It can be 100 F (37.8 C) at 1:00 in the morning.

Comment

Working...
            X