Predictions of the 2004 campaign!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Predictions of the 2004 campaign!

With Howard Dean running for president, I fear one thing -- that some Republicans will resort to appealing to homophobia and hatred in the guise of "family values" in order to run a smear campaign against Howard Dean.

Something along this line:

"If you support preserving traditional family values, reelect Bush. If you wish to destroy traditional family values, elect Howard Dean -- the destroyer of family values."

I'm worried that some Republicans will appeal to homophobia and bigotry in the form of a smear campaign against Howard Dean.

Oh by the way -- I'm back from being banned for three days from Apolyton.

Does this mean that I belong to the "bad guys" club on Apolyton?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

"Howard Dean -- the destroyer of family values." vs "George W. Bush -- the destroyer of terrorism."

tough decision
    CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
      "Howard Dean -- the destroyer of family values." vs "George W. Bush -- the destroyer of terrorism."

tough decision
      The decision will affect the lives of all Americans.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Think that's bad? Here's what Congressman George Smathers said about fellow Democrat Claude Pepper, when Peppers was challenging Smathers during the 1950 primary contest:

Are you aware that the candidate is known all over Washington as a shameless extrovert? Not only that, but this man is reliably reported to have practiced nepotism with his sister-in-law and he has a sister who was once a wicked thespian in New York. He matriculated with co-eds at the University, and it is an established fact that before his marriage he habitually practiced celibacy.

Smathers won.

Source: http://www.afn.org/~afn62971/pepper.html

Comment

I don't think you'll see much in the way of a smear campaign on this issue. Most of the campaign, I think, will center on Iraq and the budget deficit.

Don't get me wrong, I think Dean will be attacked to some extent on the issue of homosexuality, but at the end of the day, the Bushies will probably want to stand on more solid ground.
          "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
          "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
          "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

That's assuming Dean DOES win. Newsweek, I believe, just ran a fun article about Dean and showing both sides, but in the end, it is basically says he ain't really that different from Bradley in 2000, Tsongas in 1992, or Anderson in 1980. Also some interesting stuff about how Vermonters, who are used to a centrist Dean, are shocked about this neo-populist stuff attached to him (kinda like how Gore went populist in 2000).

We should wonder how Bush will run against Kerry.... that may be a very tough election for the Bushies (they are secretly hoping Dean wins though... they are predicting 49 states if that happens ).
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The problem Dean is going to have as an established contender is that he won't have the advantage of obscurity to hide his faults. He won't get away with another Meet the Press fiasco as the frontrunner.
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Dean will do quite well because he understand something that the Democratic voters have been screaming for decades: you don't beat the Republicans by becoming the Republicans, you beat the Republicans by standing up and fighting them.

The best thing that can be said about a Democratic government, however, is that things probably won't get much worse. They certainly won't get any better. But even that's better than four more years of the phoney presidency.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Prediction: Bush will win.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    Dean will do quite well because he understand something that the Democratic voters have been screaming for decades
                    What democratic voters?
                    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

sky: If Kerry wins the Democratic nomination (which I assume he will), I think he'd definetly give Bush a good run. Maybe even win.

All the others? Not even close. Bush will cakewalk to victory against them.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                        Prediction: Bush will win.
                        Even if he loses.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                          Even if he loses.
                          huh?

Oh, some stupid crack about the 2000 election.

Notice that under the Constitution, BUSH was the winning candidate.

But of course, silly things like the Constitution aren't important.

Comment

I agree with Imran. Kerry's gonna get the nomination. Dean's role is to excite the Democratic base, which was massively disaffected from the party in ever greater numbers since 1994. Come Agust, Dean will do his duty and tell all his people to hold their nose and vote for Kerry, to save the Republic from the Republicans.

Comment

Democrats hope that Dean can get more Democratic base voters excited than Bradley did in 2000, and then turn them over to Kerry .

Comment

Working...
                              X