Recommend me books!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LTEC!
    Last of the mohicans. classic, war, movie.
    I agree. A friend of mine was one of the Indian extras, and got to "fight" in all of the battles.
    He's got the Midas touch.
    But he touched it too much!
    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Autobiographies

Truth Stranger than Fiction: Father Henson's Story of his Own Life by Josiah Henson - It was written around the year 1860, but it's interesting nonetheless. It's another slave narrative along the lines of Frederick Douglass'. This book is out of print.

Gandhi by Mohandas Gandhi (obviously)

Movie books

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut - The movie was one of the worst things I've ever seen, but the book is a personal favorite. And if you get tired of reading it (but you shouldn't), there are lots of pretty pictures to look at in it.

The Last Temptation of Christ by Nikos Kazantzakis - I just got finished reading this a couple of days ago, and I loved it. The message it carries got through even to my hardened atheistic mind.
      "The self is a relation that relates itself to itself, or is the relation's relating itself to itself in the relation; the self is not the relation but is the relation relating itself to itself." -Kierkegaard, at one of his less lucid moments

Tremolando shows rage! Sforzando shows excitement! C Minor means gravity!–D Minor means terror!...Round and round like donkeys at a grindstone! -Amadeus

Comment

Another movie book - Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. LeGuin.

The movie isn't well known (I just heard about it the other day), but apparantly it was a PBS picture that was made 20-odd years ago got into a 20 year-old legal battle over using a Beatles song (all Micheal Jackson's fault of course). It's about a man whose dreams become reality. Excellent book from one of my favorite authors.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

My favorite by Chrichton was Airframe. I think. It's been quite a while.

Try Dan Brown's Angels & Demons -- now THERE'S a hell of a lot of research.
          Talent Optional

Comment

Working...
          X