Pet Peeves- Traffic Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it me, or is FP getting very tedious on this thread :/

anyway i know what you mean az, i drive as fast as it's safe to drive on roads i know, regardless of the speed limit. i got done for doing 55 in a 30 zone, about 1/2 a mile from the nearest house and where i have NEVER seen a pedestrian walking, but true to form some tosspot was hiding in the bushes and so i get a 150 quid fine and 5 points on my license

the police seem to have their priorities wrong. in the paper a few months ago i read about a village where the police had put up a sign saying '1,269 speeders caught', the locals put a sign underneath it saying '0 burglars caught', says it all really. :/
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I have the gas inlet on the right, and am perfectly happy with it.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
        As if I care what you think of me.

anyway i know what you mean az, i drive as fast as it's safe to drive on roads i know, regardless of the speed limit. i got done for doing 55 in a 30 zone, about 1/2 a mile from the nearest house and where i have NEVER seen a pedestrian walking, but true to form some tosspot was hiding in the bushes and so i get a 150 quid fine and 5 points on my license

Maybe you'll think differently when somebody you know is killed by some **** going 20 miles over the limit down a quiet country lane. Just because a road very rarely has pedestrians walking down it doesn't mean that they never do, nor does it mean that you have any less right to be there then they do.

Will it kill you to go slightly slower? Or are you happy to put other people's live at risk so that you can get to your destination a couple of minutes early?

I for one, am glad that the police are successful in catching at least some criminals out there. They sure as hell aren't perfect, but the more threats to public safety that are denied the privilege to drive the better in my opinion.
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

the police seem to have their priorities wrong. in the paper a few months ago i read about a village where the police had put up a sign saying '1,269 speeders caught', the locals put a sign underneath it saying '0 burglars caught', says it all really. :/
          "i got done for doing 55 in a 30 zone, about 1/2 a mile from the nearest house and where i have NEVER seen a pedestrian walking"

Says it all really.

Speed limits are there for a reason. So are drink-driving laws?

If someone came on ehre saying he always drives after having six pints and has never had an accident, would you say "yeah, go on then, it's ok".

What are you waiting for to make you slow down? You actually need to kill a child before you start thinking about obeying speed limits.

I see enough idiots like you going past while I'm waiting for the bus each morning. Those going 35+ mph I shake my head at..40+ mph I mouth "t**t" to. I'm just waiting for someone going faster than that I'll make it blatantly obvious I'm pissed off because there are few things I dislike more than drivers going at ridiculous speeds just to shave a few seconds off their arrival time.
          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Bods:

Comment

Maybe you'll think differently when somebody you know is killed by some **** going 20 miles over the limit down a quiet country lane. Just because a road very rarely has pedestrians walking down it doesn't mean that they never do, nor does it mean that you have any less right to be there then they do.

Will it kill you to go slightly slower? Or are you happy to put other people's live at risk so that you can get to your destination a couple of minutes early?

bunch of bull****. noone's is talking about quiet country lanes, but highways and freeways. The allowed speed in normal countries in such places is 75 mph, afaik. This is a reasonable, and logical speed limit. and not suprisingly, almost noone goes any faster. but if you have to go 55 on such a road, of course you'll break the speed limit.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

And yes I'm just waiting for one to stop and attempt to beat the crap out of me..because then at least he'd be done for a "real" crime.
                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

"bunch of bull****. noone's is talking about quiet country lanes, but highways and freeways. The allowed speed in normal countries in such places is 75 mph, afaik. This is a reasonable, and logical speed limit. and not suprisingly, almost noone goes any faster. but if you have to go 55 on such a road, of course you'll break the speed limit."

I'd support raising the limit on motorways - let's cut the limit in dense residential areas to 20mph as well.
                  www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

do either of you two actually drive?

please read my post again, especially the part where i say 'i drive as fast as it's safe to drive on roads i know'. not 'i break every speed limit with no regard to others'
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                      bunch of bull****. noone's is talking about quiet country lanes, but highways and freeways.
                      C0ckney specifcally mentioned a road with a 30 mile an hour limit. Now, I have never seen this road so I'm not sure if the description "quiet country lane" fits it, but that speed limit was not put there without good reason.

Or do you also think that going almost double the posted speed limit could ever be safe?

(and for the record the highway speed limit in the UK is 70. I would have no objection to raising it to 80.)

Comment

do either of you two actually drive?
                        Yes. What's your point?

Comment

Yes, I drive, and I have broken speed limits. Just how we've all been drunk and can say it's not a safe thing to do that both for ourselves and others around us.

"'i drive as fast as it's safe to drive on roads i know'"

You might know the roads but you don't know what is around the corner this time around.
                          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

ok well then as you both drive you should know that if you drive a route on a regular basis you learn it, you learn how fast you can safely take corner x or y, when you need to brake etc. so obviously, if there is a sharpe corner or poor visability at a particular point then you'll slow down.

Comment

nm

Comment

Working...
                              X