Kiwi solves Zeno's paradox and argues against Hawking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DRoseDARs

So you dismiss Eastern philosophies' ability to ponder the inponderable?

Gee, seemed to work for ancient Mediterreanian thinkers and seems to be accepted by modern Western Science as "a good start." Double standard, methinks...
    ? I am not doubting out of hand. nevertheless the proofs that they provided are not the standard of today. and eastern philosophies ponderings while interesting could not stack up against today's.

Comment

todays modern science. forgot end.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs So you dismiss Eastern philosophies' ability to ponder the inponderable?

Gee, seemed to work for ancient Mediterreanian thinkers and seems to be accepted by modern Western Science as "a good start." Double standard, methinks...
        Yep. Pondering the imponderable == following a NULL pointer.

Mediterranean thinkers don't impress me much. Aristotle was wrong about pretty much everything. His primary contribution is that he got people thinking about things.
        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Modern Western Science is based on Western philosophy, specific that originating out of Ancient Greece. I'm saying that at the same time Zeno and his fellow ponderers were pondering away, Eastern Philosophers were doing THE EXACT SAME THING at the same time. Their words and methods were different, but their conclusions followed the same lines of thought as their Western counterparts.

todays modern science. forget end.
          Um, not certain what that means. Please clarrify...
          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Modern Western Science is based on Western philosophy, specific that originating out of Ancient Greece. I'm saying that at the same time Zeno and his fellow ponderers were pondering away, Eastern Philosophers were doing THE EXACT SAME THING at the same time. Their words and methods were different, but their conclusions followed the same lines of thought as their Western counterparts.

Um, not certain what that means. Please clarrify...
            ppl of ancient times did not have the theoretical or experimental tools of today's scientists. therefore while they were probably very intelligent it is not really fair to stack them up against ppl who are simply vastly better equiped. as is pointed out aristotle was wrong...a lot.

Comment

If aristotle would of tested his BS he would of been right a lot more often.

Comment

St. Leo et al., allow me to direct your attention to The Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra. He makes a strong example of my arguement by showing the similarities between modern quatum physics and ancient Taoist, Buddhist, and even Hindu thought.

It's an excellent read, and is what introduced me to Taoism, which I now make attempts to follow. Though, saying that is probably contrary to the philosophy...

Comment

St. Leo et al., allow me to direct your attention to The Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra. He makes a strong example of my arguement by showing the similarities between modern quatum physics and ancient Taoist, Buddhist, and even Hindu thought.

It's an excellent read, and is what introduced me to Taoism, which I now make attempts to follow. Though, saying that is probably contrary to the philosophy...
                  taoist philosophies predict quantum foam and the uncertainty principle?

Comment

Originally posted by yavoon

taoist philosophies predict quantum foam and the uncertainty principle?
                    Read it and find out...

Seriously, it's been a few years since I last read that book, as well as SH's BHoT and another good sciencey book that-I-can't-remember-the-title-to-at-the-moment. ToP has a few chapters that delve deeper into the math of physics/quantum physics than BHoT dared to, so you can get bogged down at times.

Even if you're not convinced by me or the book, it's still an excellent read and should be given a place right next to anyone's copy of BHoT.

Comment

Read it and find out...

Seriously, it's been a few years since I last read that book, as well as SH's BHoT and another good sciencey book that-I-can't-remember-the-title-to-at-the-moment. ToP has a few chapters that delve deeper into the math of physics/quantum physics than BHoT dared to, so you can get bogged down at times.

Even if you're not convinced by me or the book, it's still an excellent read and should be given a place right next to anyone's copy of BHoT.
                      from discussion thread to advertisement in one fell swoop

Comment

DRose: "Eastern philosophies were coming up with this stuff too at the same time, you eurocentric twit. "

Given that the scientific tradition of Newton, Einstein, Lynd et al grew out of a civilizational lineage that included Zeno, why do you not find it reasonable for the man to remark upon Zeno.

Given that he was, in fact, trying to solve the paradox known to Western man as "Zeno's paradox", why is a reference to this same paradox automatically make him a twit?

The assumptions it must take to make such a statement must leave you feeling a bit at times.

Comment

"So you dismiss Eastern philosophies' ability to ponder the inponderable?"

We just doubt their ability to solve it.

Comment

Wouldn't the inponderable, by its very definition, defy any attempts to ponder it?
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Yes, but let it be remarked that it is Western investigations of quantum mechanics that lead to the internet 80 years later, while 2,500 years after Zeno, the Eastern "Philosophers" still have yet to use their knowledge to develop a computer - or even to feed themselves, actually.

Comment

JohnT, given the willingness of many Westerners (not all or even most), both religious AND scientific, to dismiss Eastern philosophies as nothing more than mystical rubbish, Godless heathenism, or Satanic worship, instead of acknowledging that EPs were off to the same start as Western thinkers, yes I find it necessary to point it out. For reasons that are beyond the scope of this thread and beyond my ability to discuss based on my acedemic studies, the East didn't flourish in science as readily as the West, despite their early similarities in thought.

There IS a bias in modern Western scientific thought against Eastern philosophies. Only in recent decades has anyone really put that aside to really look into and see past those biases.

Perhaps I rushed a little with the Zeno reference, but it has become an automatic response whenever quantum physics comes up and I see it. It's too easy to forget the East. They may have slowed their advance, but they've understood the underlining concepts just as long.

Comment

Working...
                                X