Kiwi solves Zeno's paradox and argues against Hawking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eli
    and an argument against the theory of Imaginary time by British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking.

Good.
    This "imaginary time" thingie never made any sense.
    Sure it does. The label is hyped by people (popular media) who don't have a clue about compound and imaginary numbers. The "imaginary" component results from the reduction of a negative square to it's square root (i.e. -b2 to ib)
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Sure it does. The label is hyped by people (popular media) who don't have a clue about compound and imaginary numbers. The "imaginary" component results from the reduction of a negative square to it's square root (i.e. -b2 to ib)

Well, duh.

The whole application of weird mathematical stuff to real world stuff on the basis of errmm... uhhh... I have no idea on what basis, makes no sense.
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Show me an 'imaginary number' to the same precision as pi and I'll show you how OJ was innocent.

Rhetoric is like the Hamptons - it's for LOSERS.
        -30-

Comment

90% of all scientists who ever lived are still active. Something new must sooner or later come out from our work...
          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Uh, what's so hard about the Turtle paradox?

1/2 m + 1/4 m + 1/8 m + 1/16 m + 1/32 m + ... = 1 m
            1/2 s + 1/4 s + 1/8 s + 1/16 s + 1/32 s + ... = 1 s

In other words, the problem is stated in such a way that a finite distance and a finite timeframe are used despite the fact that the series itself is infinite.

Achilles will never pass the Turtle within the range of the infinite series of smaller distances and times, but once Achilles runs past the sum of the infinite series of smaller distances in the sum of the infinite series of times, he will be ahead of the turtle.

The paradox is caused by the use of an inappropriate model for the problem.

Σari = a/(1-r) for 0 < r < 1
            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by st_swithin
              Show me an 'imaginary number' to the same precision as pi and I'll show you how OJ was innocent.

Rhetoric is like the Hamptons - it's for LOSERS.
              i * pi

Now 'splain that part about flying DNA to me again, Counselor?
              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

I suck at algebra. I am a visual thinker.

Which is why I like Biology.

Comment

The only part of Biology that I care much for are evolutionary laws.
                  Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Just fascinating

*Raising an Eyebrow*
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Eli

Well, duh.

The whole application of weird mathematical stuff to real world stuff on the basis of errmm... uhhh... I have no idea on what basis, makes no sense.
                      u should read the elegant universe then.

Comment

I am Jack's ejaculating bodily waste.

SUM(1/n) = 1
                        SUM(1/s) = 1

n = 1 - s
                        -30-

Comment

Wait, let me see if I understand this: people are going ga-ga over this 27 yr old's paper stating that there is no finite instant of time and there is no finite location in space?

Hell, I already knew that. And I suck at all math higher than "+" "-" "*" and "/."

On the paradoxes Lynds said, "I guess one might infer that we've been a bit slow on the uptake, considering it's taken us so long to reach these conclusions.
                          Ya' think?

I don't think that's the case though. Rather that, in respect to an instant in time, I don't think it's surprising considering the obvious difficulty of seeing through something that you actually see and think with. Moreover, that with his deceivingly profound paradoxes, I think Zeno of Elea was a true visionary, and in a sense, 2500 years ahead of his time."
                          Eastern philosophies were coming up with this stuff too at the same time, you eurocentric twit.

I'm gonna have to dig out S.Hawkin's BHoT and reread imaginary time; don't really remember what he was getting at and nothing posted here is clicking with me.
                          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                            Wait, let me see if I understand this: people are going ga-ga over this 27 yr old's paper stating that there is no finite instant of time and there is no finite location in space?

Hell, I already knew that. And I suck at all math higher than "+" "-" "*" and "/."

Ya' think?

Eastern philosophies were coming up with this stuff too at the same time, you eurocentric twit.

I'm gonna have to dig out S.Hawkin's BHoT and reread imaginary time; don't really remember what he was getting at and nothing posted here is clicking with me.
                            believing it is true and rigorously proving it are so far apart that they don't warrant comparison

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                              The only part of Biology that I care much for are evolutionary laws.
                              Nothing in Biology makes sense unless in the light of evolution. I am sickened that Biology has always lagged behind the other sciences. I won't be satisfied until people stop calling algae and fungi plants and protozoans animals!

Comment

Originally posted by yavoon

believing it is true and rigorously proving it are so far apart that they don't warrant comparison
                                So you dismiss Eastern philosophies' ability to ponder the inponderable?

Gee, seemed to work for ancient Mediterreanian thinkers and seems to be accepted by modern Western Science as "a good start." Double standard, methinks...
                                The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Working...
                                X