No announcement yet.

New rape law allows change of mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Her liking is irrelevant. It's purely what goes on in the man's mind that counts.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Incorrect. I'm not a lawyer, but even I know that's not right. Her liking has EVERYTHING to do with it....if the timeframe IS to her liking, then there won't BE a case in court!

-=Vel=-
      The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

• Imran- go back and read my posts again.

Comment

• It's purely what goes on in the man's mind that counts.

If you were stopping.. Did you have sexual contact with her after she said no? Yes, you were slowing down. Did you have the intent to have sexual contact with her after she said no? One could argue (with some success, based on how the law was phrased) yes, because he admited he was 'slowing down', which mean intent for sexual contact, even though at the same time he also intended to stop very soon.

It's tricky. Which is why acquantance rape cases are very difficult.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Velociryx
            Incorrect. I'm not a lawyer, but even I know that's not right. Her liking has EVERYTHING to do with it....if the timeframe IS to her liking, then there won't BE a case in court!

-=Vel=-
            What's her decision on whether to prosecute got to do with whether a rape has been committed?

Comment

• Assuming no physical evidence and that the accused invokes his right to silence, should the law permit a verdict of guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt" simply on the testimony of the woman?

I hope the answer to this question is self evident.

How can any prosecutor bring such a case without some corroboration?
              http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• When you quoted me, I was referring to being tossed into jail. The only way that's going to happen is if the matter is taken to court.

If you stop in a timeframe that is to her liking, the matter won't (obviously) go to court, and we're not talking about jail. If the timeframe is NOT to her liking, it's screwsville for you. THAT is what I mean, and that has everything to do with her preference.

-=Vel=-
                The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

• I can't argue with that, Velo, but it's got nothing to do with the law.

Comment

• Laz, there is a reason why rape cases are some of the trickiest cases in criminal law. The intent is very hard to find out, and leads to much discussion and debate (like here ).

That said, I think Boris was correct when early on he said we should have a 'reasonable time' for stopping based on the problems of the sex drive. Reasonable time should be a few seconds to stop, however. Do you disagree with this?
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Sure it does....in the sense that if the case never makes it to court (stopping in a timeframe she likes), then it's not a matter for the law at all, but if your "immediately" and hers differ (up to her completely to decide), then it's see you in court!

-=Vel=-

Comment

• Originally posted by Velociryx
                        Sure it does....in the sense that if the case never makes it to court (stopping in a timeframe she likes), then it's not a matter for the law at all, but if your "immediately" and hers differ (up to her completely to decide), then it's see you in court!

-=Vel=-
                        And up to the prosecutor, who has discretion on whether or not to bring a case.

Yeah, the big problem here is mens rea for rape in general.
                        - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                        - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                        - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

• Originally posted by reds4ever
                          Victim 'I invited him into my house, we began to have consensual sex but then I changed my my mind, but he would n't stop'

Judge (to the accused) 'Is this correct? She changed her mind'

Accused 'No Your Honour, she did not change her mind'

Jugde 'Any other evidence? No? Case dismissed'
                          This is why indoors sex should be illegal.:P
                          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

• Hey, Temp... what is your solution to this? I'd imagine that you'd agree with me that a partner can change his/her mind in the middle of sex, but when should it become rape?

Comment

• Originally posted by St Leo
                              This is why indoors sex should be illegal.:P
                              you just want to watch, don't you?
                              'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                              G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

• Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                                This seems impossible to improve, unless there was an audio or video recording of this...

Shi has found the silver lining to all this: under the new law, it'll be far easier to talk your partner into letting you tape it. Just claim it's for "legal purposes." Hell, you might be able to let your buddies watch by telling her they're your "legal team."
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X