No announcement yet.

Consequences of a revaluation of the Yuan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's another one DAVOUT. It's very clear. Read the last 3 paragraphs.

Asia thrives on the falling dollar
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
      Here's another one DAVOUT. It's very clear. Read the last 3 paragraphs.

Asia thrives on the falling dollar
      I see no problem in the last three paragraphs of the article (page 3).
      Statistical anomaly.
      The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
        Tinkai: All of what you say seems true. However, am I right in saying that the perceived value of the Yuan does have an impact on money flows? If it is perceived that the Yuan will revalue higher, then hot money attempts to flow into China.

This speculative hot money adds directly to China's money supply, since basically the gov't is printing a set number of Yuan when they "buy" a dollar. China's money supply grows. China's reserves grow. The Yuan appears to be further undervalued. The trade surplus grows. Then the cycle begins again.

Isn't what China lost or will lose in this equation is the ability to set money supply, if they don't revalue periodically? A massive amount of money flowing into or out of the system will--sooner or later--cause either an overheated economy or an illiquid economy. If China really tamps down hard on fx transactions, that will cause chaos in the business community. And that's when companies may go to alternatives to the BoC to set a truer market price.
        Like Davout said, speculation isn't an issue because of the currency controls, but you might be right.

Here's an interesting article about what you mentioned.

Almost every dollar that enters China is exchanged into about 8.3 yuan. These new yuan are a potential ingredient in inflation, and whether they get into the economy is critical to the issue of overheating.

The way China is choosing to handle the new yuan currently bucks conventional economics. To keep the yuan exchange rate unchanged, the central bank issues short-term debt instruments to buy back the new yuan from banks, which keeps banks from pumping it into the economy and kindling inflation.

The situation wasn't much of a problem until prices started to rise, since deflation made any rate of interest worthwhile. But now, prices are picking up - in conjunction with a huge upsurge in foreign trade and investment during the past year that has sent U.S. dollars hurling into China at unprecedented speed.

These factors together suggest the central bank should lift the rates it pays on the bills used to mop up the yuan or let the currency rise. But it isn't complying.

Foreign economists don't doubt the conundrum on interest and exchange rates exists for China too. But they argue China makes hash of the theory since use of the yuan is governed by rules. It isn't fully convertible like the Hong Kong dollar.

In effect, China has a third lever: rule changes.

If Beijing were to permit normalized exchange in the yuan, more exit strategies for foreign investors, foreign investment for Chinese companies in a qualified domestic institutional investor program or a more wide-open import regime, some inflationary pressure could be offset by the reduction in net U.S. dollar intake. A number of such steps already have been taken, and more were outlined Friday in Hong Kong with plans to allow more Chinese to travel overseas, and buy foreign currency for their travels.
        Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by DAVOUT

I see no problem in the last three paragraphs of the article (page 3).
          Sorry page 2
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

Sorry page 2
            Assuming that the 3 paragraphs are those beginning by:

- Some currencies ...
            - The dollar fell sharply ...
            - To limit and prevent ...

I see no problem either.
            Statistical anomaly.
            The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Davout, Tingkai, DanS:
              Thankyou for your efforts in this thread. It was a timely tutorial for me in the basics of China's exchange. The second FT article was especially helpful.
              "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
              "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
              - Pekka

Comment

Working...
              X