Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schools in America: how to fix our education system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schools in America: how to fix our education system.

I think teachers should be given more leeway in running thier class, and teachers should get at least $40,000 per year. More emphasis must be put on science and Civics. I also think the emphasis on tests is too much. Science classes must be more fun for students, apathy in biology and geology, for example is why creationists have so much influence in the US. In history we need more emphasis on history outside the US.

What or your guys' (and gals') suggestions?

I know you won't like this Odin but the answer is school choice. Not letting the students choose the school but letting the schools choose the students. Schools are too burdened by students who make things hard for everyone.

Oh, and teachers do make about that much on average.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
      Oh, and teachers do make about that much on average.
      Not around here they do.

Comment

Less lecturing and more discussing in classrooms.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I know that the Clovis School District down in Fresno has a new school opening, or recently did, that offers a work program so that students can work and go to school at the same time in order to support their families... Other such institutions, that allow more choice for the student would be nice... This coulde include letting the school choose, as Kid suggests. Some kids WANT to learn, some gets only go because they HAVE to and it is just away to bye time between work, football, or vandilzing. Seperating these kids from one another would guarentee that those that want certain things will be given it...

Caveat: Not segregating based on race, creed, or sexual orientation though...
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

Not around here they do.
            I started out at 36k/year. I would have topped out at at over 60k/year. And don't forget about the killer benefits.

Comment

Obviously my suggestion is total privitization, but I don't care to debate whether or not that will improve the school system, because ultimately that isn't my concern.

Accordingly, what I feel would best improve our schools is a)allowing more discussion, rather than lecture, b)eliminating busy work, c)replacing busy work with more discussion, writing papers, and things of that nature, d)eliminate multiple choice tests, and in their place put essay tests, and e)fail ANYONE who can't cut it - keep them back until they CAN.

Our high school graduation rate would probably plummet, at least at first, but as new generations of kids came through, it would normalize, and we'd be left with a far better educated population, and a population much better suited to attend college.
              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
              Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

I would also like High Schools that specialized in certain areas, like Pure and Applied Sciences; History, Political Science, etc; or what not else.

Kid, 25K around here is the average.

Comment

There is no answer as simple as "giving the teachers more leeway."

For example, Comrade Kidicious speaks of schools choosing kids. I assume that he means the kids who make things hard for everyone = regular ******* students...no one can say they didn't deal with them when they were in school. Well, unfortunately, the definition of "*******" is all too subjective. To one teacher, a child might be a model student, but to another, he might be the biggest ****er in the nation. The chance for bias is too great to let it happen...the nightmare spectre of a small school of perfect little all-Americans dumping the people they don't want on other schools would be one step closer. Conventional discipline as it stands today (detention halls, suspensions, etc.) work fairly well, and there are only a few regular *******s that slip through the cracks, no pun intended.

Likewise, Civics is the same burden--too much possibility for bias for anything other than bad to come out of it.

The emphasis on tests, while stressful to the students, is beneficial--due to the fact that curriculums and teachers differ everywhere, an "A" in Bubba and the School he Done Builted can not even be compared to an "A" in Well-Funded Large School Here. The more we can do to standardize the system, the more painful it is, but the more measurable it is. It's all about choosing the right balance. (And once again bias gets in...pushing for Creationism to be listed in Bubba Elementary textbooks might not be a lot, but pushing for it to be in Large Geographical Region Here textbooks would be disastrous on many more orders of magnitude.)

"Science classes must be more fun" No-brainer. Now, tell us HOW, and you're on to something there. (But I do agree that Creationism should NOT be taught in US schools. Creationism is merely a theory. Evolution is backed up by scientific fact. If you want to brainwash your kids into your own religion, send them to a private school, force them to worship God every minute of their childhood, or home-school them. I will not discuss it more, because I want to get to my Civ3athon.)

The more-of-world history suggestion is good, but are you aware that most schools are having trouble just cramming down history in ONE nation down kids' throats? Apart from dramatically diluting world history (bad) or multiplying the amount of time spent in History classes, there is simply nothing to be done.
                  meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                    Accordingly, what I feel would best improve our schools is a)allowing more discussion, rather than lecture, b)eliminating busy work, c)replacing busy work with more discussion, writing papers, and things of that nature, d)eliminate multiple choice tests, and in their place put essay tests, and e)fail ANYONE who can't cut it - keep them back until they CAN.

Our high school graduation rate would probably plummet, at least at first, but as new generations of kids came through, it would normalize, and we'd be left with a far better educated population, and a population much better suited to attend college.

Oh, we also need FREE COLLEGE, so students can concentrate on thier studies instead of working so much they get hardly any sleep.

I prefer discussion over lectures. Lectures are BORING.

Comment

I would also like a much greater emphasis on philosophy - teach people how to think. We can get rid of **** like forcing people to do science projects, or making people take art classes. Not that this stuff isn't valuable, it just isn't valuable unless you are interested in it. If I'm forced to do a science project, I'm gonna half-ass it because I hate it - it's a waste of my time.
                      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

One thing we can also scrap is the massive emphasis some schools place on athletics. Football? Sure, it's great, I suppose, but let's not prioritize it very highly.

Oh, we also need FREE COLLEGE, so students can concentrate on thier studies instead of working so much they get hardly any sleep.
                        Sorry, I happen to feel that working your way through school is extremely valuable. Yes, before anyone brings it up, most of my school is paid for through institutional scholarships and grants, but I also work full time and support myself in terms of my apartment and other expenses.

Comment

That's why speciality schools would be best...

Free College? - Get a Loan you greedy money grubber... I don't want to pay for everything, sometimes you need to fork the bill for what it is you are receiving.
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                            There is no answer as simple as "giving the teachers more leeway."

For example, Comrade Kidicious speaks of schools choosing kids. I assume that he means the kids who make things hard for everyone = regular ******* students...no one can say they didn't deal with them when they were in school. Well, unfortunately, the definition of "*******" is all too subjective. To one teacher, a child might be a model student, but to another, he might be the biggest ****er in the nation. The chance for bias is too great to let it happen...the nightmare spectre of a small school of perfect little all-Americans dumping the people they don't want on other schools would be one step closer. Conventional discipline as it stands today (detention halls, suspensions, etc.) work fairly well, and there are only a few regular *******s that slip through the cracks, no pun intended.
                            I disagree. Why should kids even go to detention hall? The only punishment for not going is suspension, and suspension is just a vacation.

Comment

(But I do agree that Creationism should NOT be taught in US schools. Creationism is merely a theory. Evolution is backed up by scientific fact. If you want to brainwash your kids into your own religion, send them to a private school, force them to worship God every minute of their childhood, or home-school them. I will not discuss it more, because I want to get to my Civ3athon.)
                              I agree. Once creationism has valid scientific backing, it should be presented as an alternate theory. Until such time, it should not be taught in science classes. This simply makes good sense - we aren't attending "Let's present every half-assed theory imaginable to make the fundies happy" Class, we're attending Science Class.

Comment

Working...
                              X