Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Internet - Isolating or Connecting People?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems to both isolate and connect people. So shall madern philosphers contemplate the duality of the internet? :hmm:
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yes, they should.

It's here, it's real and it will continue to evolve. Will we spend more time on the Net as it becomes more sophisticated?

Will we become more isolated or more connected?

Carolus

Comment

Actually that depends on how you define isolated and connected.

For people like my mother who cannot grasp this new form of communication, it seems to be isolating. She sees how I sit in front of the computer all day long, rarely go out, receive almost no phonecalls(we have ICQ for that ) and she thinks i'm isolated, that I dont see the world.
        I on the other hand watch her come back from work where she had real contact with roughly 5 people and most of it was work related, read a few pages in some book, watch the news on TV for 30 minutes and go on a walk with my father and the same couple of relatives and then go to my grandmother and talk a bit with her. And I think she's the one who's isolated, and i'm right of course.
        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

I am pretty shy in the outside world, and here sometimes I even quarrel with people...
          Am I annoying?
          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
          Middle East!

Comment

Yes.
            "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

"I realise I hold the key to freedom,
              I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
              Middle East!

Comment

Working...
              X