Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Internet - Isolating or Connecting People?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Internet - Isolating or Connecting People?

- You interact with people from all over the world in a way not possible before?

- You get new friends, pick up new ideas and broaden your horizons?

- Things you pick up on the Internet make you question yourself and your beliefs, and make you enter new areas of interest you would never have come across otherwise?

- You ignore your "real" life and friends, or maybe even worse, your sweetheart?

- You read less, take less interest in current events and, in a sense, become more ignorant?

- You say no to social events so that you can stay hours and hours in front of a monitor chatting or posting to strangers?

The Internet - Isolating or Connecting People?

Carolus

isolating. The real world is the only thing that matters.

That's why poly meets are so important.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

- You ignore your "real" life and friends, or maybe even worse, your sweetheart?

What is this thing, "real", that people keep talking about?

- You read less, take less interest in current events and, in a sense, become more ignorant?

In OT we have a great interest in current events, as long as they involve Iraq

Comment

London. 8th August.

Thank you.
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

there is no spoon.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Correction: A spoon, there is not.

Comment

skywalker, can I make out with your sister?
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

I would say sure, why not, but she exists solely on the TV.

Comment

That's a date then. What channel is she on?

Ok, now really I'm gone.. BBQ!
                  In da butt.

Comment

You can get her on VHS cassette or DVD

Comment

Re: The Internet - Isolating or Connecting People?

Originally posted by Carolus Rex
                      Really? I dont see how that follows from the use of the internet.

- You say no to social events so that you can stay hours and hours in front of a monitor chatting or posting to strangers?
                      Well, isnt that the same social event but in a different form?
                      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Connecting.

Comment

Has anything amusing ever happened to you in connection with a spoon?
                          Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

I think it isolates but connects people at the same time. I would say that the world immeadietly around me would be far better if the internet didnt exist, however I would know far less if.

Comment

Re: The Internet - Isolating or Connecting People?

- You interact with people from all over the world in a way not possible before?
                              Yes
                              - You get new friends, pick up new ideas and broaden your horizons?
                              Yes
                              - Things you pick up on the Internet make you question yourself and your beliefs, and make you enter new areas of interest you would never have come across otherwise?
                              Yes
                              No. I prioritise
                              Reverse in fact. Easier access to news services and information online. Reading is fro away-from-PC time.
                              Never done this. Yet.

Connecting, for the most part. I think the decline into emotional isolation is (or will be) a real issue though, since online-contact is fleeting and largely meaningless. People will get more and more dependant on online unfulfilling online contact, and need more and more to get the satisfaction of "real life", and it could become a problem for vulnerable individuals. But this will hopefully stay a very small minority.
                              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
                              X