Minority Report - Prejudices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minority Report - Prejudices

I found this whilst browsing, seemed kind of interesting.

Profiles of Prejudice is England's first ever opinion poll that looks at general public attitudes to diversity and discrimination.

Conducted in May 2001 by MORI, one of the most highly respected polling organisations, the data reveals the profile of prejudice and tolerance in England. It shows which groups fare worse, what influences people to be prejudiced or not, and identifies strong evidence of 'joined-up' prejudice (i.e. that people who are prejudiced against one group are also prejudiced against others).

Highlights:

Almost two thirds of people (64%) can name at least one minority group towards whom they feel less positive - representing 25 million adults across England.

The most frequently cited groups are travellers/gypsies (35%), refugees and asylum seekers (34%), people from a different ethnic group (18%) and gay or lesbian people (17%).

Prejudice against one group tends to go hand in hand with prejudice against others. People who are prejudiced against any ethnic group are twice as likely as the population as a whole to be prejudiced against gay and lesbian people. They are four times as likely to be prejudiced against disabled people.

Knowing someone who is gay or lesbian reduces by half the likelihood of being prejudiced against gay or lesbian people as a group. Similarly, knowing someone from a different ethnic group reduces by half the likelihood of being prejudiced against people from different ethnic groups.

It's a couple of years old now, but it has some interesting points. And why are people so prejudiced against gypsies? Weren't more gypsies than Jews killed in the holocaust?

Because gypsies in the sense that most of us know them are thieving little bastards who go round stirring up trouble.
    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

More jews were killed than Gypsies, but quite a few Gypsies too. Or as they prefer to be called, Romani.

What I'm curious is prejudice against disabled people... what, do you people hate guys in wheelchairs or something???
      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
      Drake Tungsten
      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
      Albert Speer

Comment

I was surprised about that too.

Comment

god damn nazis...
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

and I thought this was about the movie

Comment

Gypsies? they're for real? so there's actually still people who roam around going to town to town in their carts stealing from people?
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

AS

don't you remember last year that lady who was caught on tape beating her kid, and it was broadcast on every news channel in the country?

She was from a gypsy family.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                  Gypsies? they're for real? so there's actually still people who roam around going to town to town in their carts stealing from people?
                  There are a few tenths of thousand here, and still coming from Roumania. They are the source of difficulties, because not all small town can accomodate conveniently several tenths of caravans, although the city council has the obligation to equip a piece of land for them.
                  Statistical anomaly.
                  The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

I feel sorry for gypsies - the get a helluva lot of bad press and no-one ever stand up for them.

I guess the Nazis had no shortage of people ready to round them up

Comment

You Brits couldn't make it in the US of A.
                      "34% against asylums seekers and refugees"?

Influx of Cubans alone would kill you.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Asylum seekers also get bad press, due to the right-wing tabloids (there's only one lefty tabloid over here and even they are more centrist now).

Never mind the fact that immigration has saved this country in the 60s, or that everyone on these isles is an immigrant...

Comment

Exactly for here.
                          I hate listening to the crap out of some people's mouth about people coming to the States.
                          Puredee ignorance.
                          Don't know what the Gypsy poulation is here.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

We had some gypsies come to Eastbourne a coupla years back and everyone jumped all over them. Judging from the local papers you'd thought a Baby Killing Cult had arrived.

Also, over here people seem to have forgotten the meaning of 'asylum seeker' - it is someone fleeing a ountry in fear of their lives. I'd like to watch one of the hate-spewing journalists tell a family to return to a place they'll be killed.

Comment

Cuba, yes, Cuba again , has a strange situation.
                              If they make it to US shore, free as the wind.
                              Coast Guard catches them at sea, returned.
                              WTF is up with that ?
                              Afraid of overloading the ocean ?

Comment

Working...
                              X