China Pushes North Korea and U.S. Talks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PLATO1003
    GePap, Given the present world environment, I don't see the NPT surviving even another 5 years. This topic needs international dialogue now in order to avert a real crisis
    And what justification can the nuclear powers give for renewing or creating a new system in which they keep to have a monopoly based simply on "got there first?". If the NPT collapses, then it is nukes for whomever thnks they need it time.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

And what justification can the nuclear powers give for renewing or creating a new system in which they keep to have a monopoly based simply on "got there first?". If the NPT collapses, then it is nukes for whomever thnks they need it time.
      Exactly...Crisis time.
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

China has every right to be upset at the thought of a nuclear Japan. They remember the devastation that Japan wrought upon their nation. Americans don't understand that most of the world has a long memory.

actually, all of east asia has a right to be upset at the thought of a nuclear japan. that, and a remilitarized japan, actually.
        one sad thing related to that is the rise in popularity in modern south korean literature of reunification with the north at japan's expense. granted, they've every right to be pissed at japan and hate that nasty bit of history (which led to the current division, in a way)... but that's not the right way to go about it.

what it boils down to is that japan going nuclear--or even remilitarizing, will touch off more arms races in east asia, and exacerbate the one that already exists.

the framework is dead. i don't know whether to smack jimmy carter for sticking his head in where it don't belong, or to just write it off as an ignorant but good-hearted attempt that went wrong. at least he's still a good georgia boy.

and it's only a crisis when bush's team declares it a crisis. they've still not done that--i personally think it was a crisis since last year.
        B♭3

Comment

The rest of this I have no very good idea about, but I can say this much:
          Many (most?) Chinese, even educated young Chinese
          I've never met one that has. I think you over estimate the amount of people who hate, otherwise there would be hate crimes or something against Japanese people by Chinese (or vice versa) in countries with many immigrants from those countries (in my case, that's Australia, and all's quiet here).
          "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

asians don't hate in quite the same way, methinks.

even though japanese are rather hated in korea, there are few crimes against the japanese; the hate boils down to demonization of the other, and avoidance, is what i've noticed.

besides, with immigrant populations, they're too busy trying to make a living, or too busy facing down racism against them to actually be bothered to try something against the others.
            B♭3

Comment

Working...
            X