China Pushes North Korea and U.S. Talks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China Pushes North Korea and U.S. Talks

China steps up its efforts to broker negotiations between United States and North Korea, dispatching senior diplomat to Washington and urging both sides to revive discarded 1994 accord on ending North's nuclear program; some Bush administration officials reject possibility of reviving 1994 accord, saying it amounts to blackmail; China's unusual public campaign suggests it intends to play more assertive mediating role in new round of talks; Secretary of State Colin L Powell says US is open to discussions with North Korea and that he expects reopening of diplomatic channel very soon (M)

China Pushes North Korea and U.S. Talks
    By JOSEPH KAHN

UANGZHOU, China, July 17 — China stepped up its efforts to broker negotiations between the United States and North Korea today, dispatching a senior diplomat to Washington and urging both sides to revive a discarded 1994 accord on ending North Korea's nuclear program.

China's unusual public campaign suggested that it intends to play a more assertive mediating role in a new round of talks, which some experts say could be held as soon as August, probably in the Chinese capital of Beijing.

"China hopes to see the quick resumption of the peace talks," Kong Quan, a spokesman for the Chinese Foreign Ministry, said at a news briefing today. "The purpose of the Beijing talks would be to seek a final settlement to the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula."

Deputy Foreign Minister Dai Bingguo left Beijing today for Washington, where he is expected to meet with Bush administration officials to discuss terms for new talks. Mr. Dai had just returned from a four-day visit to Pyongyang, the North Korean capital.

Secretary of State Colin L. Powell said on Wednesday that the United States was open to discussions with North Korea. He said he expected to see very soon the reopening of a diplomatic channel.

If talks do get under way, China indicated that it would urge the United States and North Korea to return to the 1994 accord, known as the Agreed Framework, negotiated by the Clinton administration to try to stop North Korea from developing nuclear weapons.

Under the accord, the United States and its allies agreed to provide fuel to North Korea and help it build two light-water nuclear reactors. North Korea agreed to shut down its existing nuclear reactor and abandon all plans to build atomic bombs.

After taking office in 2001, the Bush administration expressed skepticism about the agreement, which collapsed after North Korea acknowledged that it had been pursuing a nuclear arms program in violation of the 1994 accord. North Korea has since fired up its five-megawatt nuclear plant, pulled out of the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty and expelled inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency.

Administration officials also said this week that North Korea boasted that it had begun reprocessing 8,000 spent nuclear fuel rods to make plutonium. If that is true, the country could begin building a small arsenal of nuclear weapons within months.

Some administration officials have rejected the possibility of reviving the 1994 agreement as the basis for future negotiations, saying that it amounted to blackmail.

North Korea, administration officials say, must unilaterally and verifiably give up its nuclear program before the United States will discuss economic or diplomatic incentives.

The Chinese, however, say that the earlier agreement should remain the basis for new negotiations.

"The 1994 Agreed Framework played a role for a certain period of time, for 10 years," Mr. Kong said. "We hope that the agreement can be continued, but it will be up to the parties concerned."
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

The 1994 Agreed Framework had no verification apparatus and is therefore worthless. The perfect example is the fact that DPRK admitted violating it and then escalated the situation when the US took exception. A new agreement is called for with tough verification standards. This is the only solution that will ensure a nuclear free Korea.
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

How about nuking Korea? Or would that defeat the point?
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
        How about nuking Korea? Or would that defeat the point?
        For 50 years DPRK has had US troops on its border. Why now do they need nukes to defend themselves? The answer is really simple. They don't. The economic plight of the North has gotten so bad that their only hope of survival is some type of reunification with the economic engine in the south. As they have seen in Europe, this model ends up giving the power to the more democratically based society (in this case ROK). This is an unacceptable position for Kim. IMO, he is preparing a nuclear arsenal to ensure that any attack into the south will have a deterent against major Us or Chinese involvement. Hence his policy of trying to isolate US and ROK in diplomatic talks. His short sitedness about both US and Chinese resolve in him possesing nuclear weapons is a huge concern. It sadly may come to a war or even a nuclear war unless China is able to apply enough pressure to make him understand the reality that his nation faces and the reality of the world today.
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

While China's efforts are appreciated, advocating a return to the Agreed Framework amounts to them carrying NK's water. China needs to reeducate its client about China's wider interests in the region, and we need to sit tight and not give NK any quarter, until both NK and China take a more constructive approach.
          Last edited by DanS; July 18, 2003, 10:51.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

And all NK has to do is test a nuke and call Bush's bluff on the penninsula. After they have an arsenal, trying to make them give it up would require serious concessions, given that it makes the military option that less politically viable, speically if the NK shows it could hit Japan with nukes.
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

And all NK has to do is test a nuke and call Bush's bluff on the penninsula.

After which, Japan, Taiwan, and possibly SK go nuclear as well. How would China like that?
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

How to end this is a super show of force to NK by the USA and China.
                China sends a million troops to the northern border of NK and the US sends five carriers to the region. Even Kim would have to back down if he saw that kind of firepower.
                Peace through superior firepower.
                Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                  And all NK has to do is test a nuke and call Bush's bluff on the penninsula.

After which, Japan, Taiwan, and possibly SK go nuclear as well. How would China like that?
                  I think you overestimate the power the Chinese have over the NK leadership and their ability to make nukes, plus the North can always just open the floodgates to let hundreds of thousands of refugees in Manchuria, or at least make the threat to the Chinese. The Chinese are less interested in these big strategic concerns than they are immediate political concerns.

Comment

Also, the threat to China from these other states going nuclear is not as large as people may make it out to seem, beside taiwan. Japan already falls under the US nuclear umbrella, SK has increasingly good relations with China, and both are signatories of the NPT, so if they go nuclear, well, the whole system might as well come down, and that is not in the interests of the US either, now is it? (cause then, Iran and others don;t have to worry about the PT anymore). Only Taiwan seems an issue (since they are in diplomatic limbo), but why would taiwan give a rats ass if NK goes nuclear? their sole motivate is China, and China is already nuclear.

Comment

I think you overestimate the power the Chinese have over the NK leadership and their ability to make nukes, plus the North can always just open the floodgates to let hundreds of thousands of refugees in Manchuria, or at least make the threat to the Chinese.

Well, let them deal with the problem. It's one of their own making. Would they rather put the kaibash on their client or see Taiwan, Japan, and South Korea go nuclear (with the knowledge that their client isn't going to be around much longer)?

Comment

NK is not really a cleint. NK and Chinese soldeirs have been know to fire at each other periodically, and Once NK shows itself to be nuclear, this admin. will not be able to sell a war on the penninsula to many people.

As for the "others going nuclear", look above.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                          Once NK shows itself to be nuclear, this admin. will not be able to sell a war on the penninsula to many people.
                          With the correct political spin, just the opposite could be true. If Americans are sold the idea that we are about to have a rain of DPRK missles on the west coast then war is more probable than not IMO.

Comment

If only they could sell that to the SK and Japanese, who's permisions we would need to fight such a war, cuase they know that in reality no nukes make it to the US, but that they can certainly fall on them (more a worry for japan, since SK's don;t think the north is aming those nukes at them, and they ahve enough to worry over conventional attack).

Comment

I fail to see why we should do anything for the Chinese here. Plus sitting at a table will accomplish nothing if there is no change in the attitude of the NK. Making them sweat a little makes a lot more sense. They will game things if we sit down. Once we sit down, the onus is on us to come away with seomthing given the press following it and the pressure for "success". Much better to create demands on NK behavior prior to agreeing to a meeting. Also, I don't think we can credibly negotaite with the NK unless we have some threat and to have a threat we need to have the SK (and possibly chinese) on board with us. So we need to get them to ante up first.

Comment

Working...
                              X