No announcement yet.

Harry Potter or LotR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lord of the Rings. Harry Potter is enjoyable, but it just can't compete with Tolkien's work.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

oh my god... nerds... time to commandeer the poll?

from now on, Who is the best guard in the NBA? (i wish you had more slots)

HP books is now Allen Iverson
      LotR books is Kobe Bryant
      HP movies is Jason Kidd
      LotR movies is Vince Carter

i'd have to go with LotR books/Kobe Bryant just because points is what matters and you can't **** with his 30 ppg.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Nerds? This coming from someone that likes basketball... eww
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

HP books, edging LotR movies. Subject to change if extended edition of TTT is as big an improvement as it was for Fellowship, though I don't know how it could be... TTT was damned near perfect.

I'll take Jason Kidd. He's tougher than Kobe. It's a close decision, though.
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

i'm unfamiliar with Kidd's ppg though... isnt it around 17 or so though? just over half of Bryant's... not really that great... though i do understand that the guard's main job isnt to rack up points but to move the ball but Bryant clearly does that as well and still manages such a high ppg... i do kind of question how good he would be alone on another team but i still think he gets this.
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Take your threadjack to a thread that actually gives a damn .
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

LotR books and movies. Harry Potter is enjoyable, but that's all: it's cheap and cheery, but not particularly good. Movies, there's no contest. LotR is just awesome. No other word describes it.
                Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Vince Carter.
                  "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                  "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                  "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

cinch:

carter just barely made my poll... there's countless other guards who were more than worthy of this limited, four slot poll but i was in some kind of odd mood and threw him in... damn maybe Stockton would've been a better choice especially since he's old school...

anyway just because carter dunks people think he's so great... :rollseyes:

Comment

I can't believe people actually read that Elves-and-goblins Tolkien rubbish! They're KIDS books for christ's sake!

The LOTR books contain dozens of pages of sterile exposition and stilted dialogue. Half of each of the novels is brilliant, but the other half is a waste of everyone's time.

Harry Potter isn't great art by any means, but neither is LOTR.
                      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                        Lord of the Rings. Harry Potter is enjoyable, but it just can't compete with Tolkien's work.

Ive been into LOTR for 30 years, Ive read the Silmarillion, and i must beg to disagree.

Tolkiens world is fascinating. His mass of details, history, mythology, languages etc. But his charecterizations are weak and his dialogue uneven. In LOTR only the hobbits and Gandalf come off as real characters, not cartoons. And of those, only Frodo and Sam come off as characters with any depth, who really grow through the novels and hold your interest as characters. Whereas Harry Potter is filled with interesting, beleivable characters, who really develop, and whose dilemnas illustrate real human problems.

I guess another way of saying it is that LOTR succeeds as a genre novel - perhaps the greatest genre novel of all time - while Harry Potter succeeds as general literature - though there it must compete with so many great works, that Harry Potter may end up not being thought a classic as much as LOTR.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

lotr books.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

LOTR ... definitely
                            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

I'm waiting for the crossover.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

People older than say....12, will pick LOTR; for the most part.
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X