Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you believe in something enough to send others to die for it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pacifism is an admirable ideology... but ultimately impractical. I would not send people to die unless there was a proper justification.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu

Of course i would. But i assume that, if i'm asked to make that decision, it is because i am in a position to make it and that i did not get there by chance, but because i was qualified.
      I would also expect that i knew all along that there was a possibility i could have to make that decision.

Did Bush expect to have to give the order to shoot a plane down on 9-11 ? I don't think he expected it. But he knew from the stsrt that there was a possibility.
      I am glad that you agree with me.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
        they are expendable when they are faceless statistics.

just look at the red army fighting the wehrmacht.
        hi ,

thats outdated a bit , would you not say , ......

have a nice day
        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

I wouldn't send anyone to die if I wasn't willing to go myself, and even then only in very limited circumstances, and I would ONLY send volunteers. No conscripts, even to save the US.
          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

even to save civilization, the entire human race? What a twisted, demented scale of priorities. How selfish.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

and DF surprises no one.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

even to save civilization, the entire human race? What a twisted, demented scale of priorities. How selfish.
                First of all, I said any task I'm unwilling to do myself.

Secondly, be realistic. Do you REALLY think enough people wouldn't volunteer to save the planet?
                Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                  I wouldn't send anyone to die if I wasn't willing to go myself, and even then only in very limited circumstances, and I would ONLY send volunteers. No conscripts, even to save the US.
                  hi ,

might sound noble , but there are times you have to make choices , and choose , wheter one volunteers with it or not , ....

even " conscripts " , ......

have a nice day
                  - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                  - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                  WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                    and DF surprises no one.
                    At least he's consistent.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

might sound noble , but there are times you have to make choices , and choose
                      Possibly, but since I know that conscription is slavery, and immoral, I refuse to engage in it.

BUT, this is a largely irrelevant tangent. If you want to talk to me about conscription anymore, start your own thread.

Comment

No one is expendable, but then again no one is so special they couldn't be replaced.

It has got nothing to do with 'sacrificing' troops, or sending them to suicide missions. If a leader makes a choice, that this is what we're going to do, he is then cofident his actions are right. Therefore he will go himself too. If not, well.. then there must be a problem.

If mission or plan is looking like it will sacrifice lots of folks.. well then you just have to look at it again and make it better. But to expect no one will die is foolish and weak. Leaders must be strong and show the way, all the way. Tjey must be accept that they can die too. Well that should at least motivate them to make good plans. I don't understand any other way. If leader is making good plans, and he is proud of his troops and sure of its effectiveness and combat abilities, then naturally he should feel the urge to go first. He can't demand things he is not able to do himself. He must be one of the best himself. Good leaders are also good soldiers, or should be. How the heck can he spend all the time making plans with others, then when the time comes he just stays back where it's more safer? He should take the honour of being the first to enter and last to come back. What good leader thinks he is better than the lower ranks? That's not a good leader. And what good leader does not send his best men first chance he gets, but more 'expendable' guys who are not so qualified? Not a good leader. Leader is confident and knows he's right and will succeed. Or then he's not exactly leader material in the first place, damn it!

There is no problem what so ever.
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                          No one is expendable, but then again no one is so special they couldn't be replaced.
                          Pondering whether this is sig material.
                          What?

Comment

if I only got the chance, there are about six billion people I have a grudge with
                            får jag köpa din syster? tre kameler för din syster!

Comment

Pekka, I largely agree with you, except for your "no one is so special..." line.

Comment

Pekka, I largely agree with you, except for your "no one is so special..." line.
                                Isn't sending troops to die against their freedom?
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X