Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you believe in something enough to send others to die for it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you believe in something enough to send others to die for it?

As many know, I'm a pacifist and a libertarian. However, would I send other to die, or make others die for it? (Ignoring the pacifist clause that dictates the answer) Of course not!!

I'm hardly what you might describe as pragmatic, so others may differ.

Discuss
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

So, if there's a house burning, you don't believe that firemen should try to rescue the people in there?
      "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
      "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Also like saying a policeman can't do his job because it is dangerous.
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

This is also known as: The counselor Troy syndrome.

I think i would. If anyone puts me in a position where i would be called upon to make that type of decision, but only if it was understood from the start that i may have to make it.
          Otherwise i'd probably say no way.
          What?

Comment

So, if your only possibility to, say, save the planet, would be to force people to their deaths, you wouldn't do it?

( using a hyperbole here to demonstrate a point. )
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Sure I would send people to die. If it is for greater good, and what is that? If the outcome is less damage, then it is greater good. If it is absolutelty necessary. Sure.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Wrong question! In the situation you describe most people would send others to die if they thought it necessary. Those who cannot bring themselves to make such a choice get pushed aside by someone who will.

The moral issue is whether you would send someone into a situation where they might get killed if you were not prepared to go yourself (assuming the situation justified it and that you could go yourself).
                Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

It would be more ethical for me to go myself, but sending them would be ethical, as well ( that is, if the task is something very ethically positive )
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Insufficient data. Who am I sending in place of myself?

There are all sorts of dangerous situations that I would send Osama Bin Laden into, if I were able to do so.

Comment

Opressing murderer!
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Azazel, good point. I'd definitely go myself too. I wouldn't 'order' anything that I wouldn't be willing to go too, taking the lead myself. But then again, I'm little light in the head .
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I'm assuming that the only way anyone would send anyone else would be that they themselves are more valuable than the ones they send.
                          What?

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                            So, if your only possibility to, say, save the planet, would be to force people to their deaths, you wouldn't do it?

( using a hyperbole here to demonstrate a point. )
                            Of course i would. But i assume that, if i'm asked to make that decision, it is because i am in a position to make it and that i did not get there by chance, but because i was qualified.
                            I would also expect that i knew all along that there was a possibility i could have to make that decision.

Did Bush expect to have to give the order to shoot a plane down on 9-11 ? I don't think he expected it. But he knew from the stsrt that there was a possibility.
                            What?

Comment

I'd send people to their painful death if it helped me get a cup of coffee. Or even just for the fun of it.
                              Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Working...
                              X